PDA

View Full Version : D70 and Infrared Photography?

dfx
07-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Will a Hoya RM72 IR Filter work on a D70? Or any DSLR for that matter. Or does the built-in IR-Blocking filter in front of the CCD allow no IR light at all? Will the image just be black with an infrared filter?

It's pretty easy to take a B&W image in photoshop and make it look infrared, but I'd like to play with IR photography with my D70 if possible, WITHOUT having someone perform surgery on the camera to remove the blocking filter.

Any help or info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

D70FAN
07-25-2004, 08:53 PM
People just don't get it. You can modify the image in Photoshop to be IR filtered (or anything else) while retaining the original color image. What is the deal with shooting an IR original? There is no difference. It is a digital image. Shoot in RAW and you can do anything you want with it.

prentiss
12-10-2004, 09:09 AM
could you share the best way you have found to convert a black and white image to an infrared look. and how about a color image? thx

D70FAN
12-10-2004, 05:58 PM
;)
could you share the best way you have found to convert a black and white image to an infrared look. and how about a color image? thx

There are several Photoshp plug-ins that will do the trick for about the same cost as an IR filter (if you could use one).

Here is one that I have used:

http://www.thepowerco.com/product_812_detailed.html

The nice thing is that you have great creative control which is lacking in regular IR photography.

Have you guys heard of google? ;)