PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on Olympus c5060

phoenix rising
11-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Hello, newbie needs a little help Iíve been mostly posting on canon looking to buy the s60 or a95.I think Iíve been a little closed minded so here I am looking for some Olympus users input on the c5060 I like what I see but how does it function planning on using it in, out and all around and also underwater. WILL MY WIFE BE ABLE TO PUT IT ON AUTO AND SHOOT??? Any help well be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jim Last
11-26-2004, 11:51 AM
There are plenty of accessories to help :) You can even have underwater housings for a flash and convertor lens.

I loved the C-5060, it is very well balanced weight wise for using and has plenty of manual features to keep even the most discerning user happy.

One question you asked that I can give a 100% no quibbles guarantee on is,
WILL MY WIFE BE ABLE TO PUT IT ON AUTO AND SHOOT??? An the answer to that is YES! My wife had the same concerns when I started looking at a new camera, even to the point of my much loved FZ20 going back to the shop :( . She found that the size of the FZ20 was not to her liking and although I was by far the main user of the C-5060, as the way it goes you seem to have to take into consideration the once a year when she decides to take a photo, and thus the C-5060 came to my rescue :D Because there is no huge zoom, as with the FZ20, she didn't have to worry abut the size and weight or even the fact that shaky shots were more than apparent on the FZ20 EVEN with the IS switched on!

All in all you won't be disapointed if you go with the C-5060, it is a very good camera with excellent results. You may also want to consider the C-8080 a lovely camera as well.

But as I always say, pop down to your local stockist and get your hands on it, it is the best way to make a decision :)

phoenix rising
11-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Hello, thanks Jim, been looking into the c-5060 and its seems that not to many places carry them I guess the 8080 did away with them but I think I found one in a local shop. Anyway, been reading that the 5060 has some dial problems??? This concerns me.If anybody has some thought on this matter, I would like to hear them. thanks

Jim Last
11-28-2004, 01:18 PM
The dial problems is a issue that may or may not affect your C-5060, from what I have read it does not affect every one. You are always going to find someone that has had issues with the workings of any electrical item over time and digital cameras are no different. I have read that even Olympus 'unofficially' know of the issue but as yet this is not leading to any action on their part. If you feel unsure because of this you could consider the C-8080 instead.

Slnce-z-GSI
12-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi,

I am also using one of these guys. I think you will be happy with it (quality of the pictures, nearly all possible manual settings, SUPER MACRO, robustness, flash range, remote control, filter threaded, etc..) but after one year one starts to feel the difference concerning the speed. If youi take 5Mix image it wil take few (2-3) seconds until it is saved to the flash card. Also audio recording in movie mode is far from ideal (but it works). I also found out that it make no sense to buy expesive fast CF card. The camera is not able to take advatnage of it (I have tryed Lexar 512MB Pro 80x).
Some people also find it a little bit complicated if they want to change e.g. flash compensation - you have to push 2 buttons and move the setting wheel at once. But, of course, at P setting, you just press the button.

Overall it is very good camera to play with all its possibilities.
If you want something much better, then my personal opinion is to go for a Digital SLR. I would not take one of those 8Mpix like C-8080, Canon Pro1 etc.. (noisy)

good luck

M..

morayman
01-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Hello, newbie needs a little help Iíve been mostly posting on canon looking to buy the s60 or a95.I think Iíve been a little closed minded so here I am looking for some Olympus users input on the c5060 I like what I see but how does it function planning on using it in, out and all around and also underwater. WILL MY WIFE BE ABLE TO PUT IT ON AUTO AND SHOOT??? Any help well be greatly appreciated. Thank you
I do office work for a liveaboard dive company and just purchased a 5060 with PT020 housing. This was on the recommendation of serveral videographers who work for my company who have purchased 5060's and love them. I have seen the results produced and they are excellent. Some photos of Black Marlin taken with the 5060 have been used in magazine adverts - it is an excellent u/w camera because all the features you need to access while shooting digital stills under water are available via a button and you do not have to go to the menu in the view finder. The 5060 has fund going diving with mefor about 3 weeks are and the other 49 weeks my wife photographs our 2 very cute Cairn Terrier dogs, it is very easy to learn and use and can do much advanced shooting if you want. Buy a uv filter for aussie $60 to protect the lens - better to replace the filter rather than the lens. :)

phoenix rising
01-26-2005, 06:42 AM
Hello, Thanks for the info still waiting to buy. Hoping for the best with the cameras coming out in Feb. but still considering the 5060 not too many camera shops carrying these days. have you ever heard about the dial problem they were having with the 5060?. I spoke to the sales guy at p.c Richards he was trying to sell me the 8080 nice camera but I think the mega pix's are going to be to much for my pc and for what I'm going to use it for he was telling me that I can dial down the pixels never heard that before any info???I'm new to the digital world still learning.so were are is the dive company located my wife and I are planning a trip real soon thinking of going to Belize heard the diving was great there how are the live aboard was wondering about them. Well thanks again on the tip.

Geoff Chandler
01-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Stan is an authority - I would say - on the C-5060 having got one. The dial problem is probably resolved but there may be the odd rouge one out there! I wrote to Olympus and they assured me that the new C-7070 has new bits internally even though it looks the same and that there should be no further jog dial problems - I assume once the problem reared it's ugly head all future production 5060 models would have been modified (hopefully that's not wishful thinking).
As fot the 'dialing down' of pixals - it just means you can change the quality/resolution within the menus - so even if you have an 8mpx camera you can take pictures at 5 or 3 mpx (depending what settings are available).
Hope that helps you.

Geoff