PDA

View Full Version : FZ10 Indoor/Flash Photo Quality???

scott
07-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Hello,
While waiting for my paycheck to arrive, I have continued to research my camera choice. I've found some users complain about the indoor pictures from the FZ10. They admit the outdoor shots are excellent, but they say the indoor shots are below average. One user said the FZ10 was incapable of taking clear photos in a gymnasium with no flash. Has anyone experienced this problem? The FZ10 sounds like a great camera, but I am also planning to use it as a "family" camera during vacation, holidays, etc... I want a camera that will take superb indoor photos, as well as outdoor photos. Is the FZ10 still a good candidate for me? Any info would be appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Scott

John_Reed
07-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Hello,
While waiting for my paycheck to arrive, I have continued to research my camera choice. I've found some users complain about the indoor pictures from the FZ10. They admit the outdoor shots are excellent, but they say the indoor shots are below average. One user said the FZ10 was incapable of taking clear photos in a gymnasium with no flash. Has anyone experienced this problem? The FZ10 sounds like a great camera, but I am also planning to use it as a "family" camera during vacation, holidays, etc... I want a camera that will take superb indoor photos, as well as outdoor photos. Is the FZ10 still a good candidate for me? Any info would be appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Scott
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/5798501-M.jpg
The above picture was shot inside a museum, hand-held, at 1/6 of a second shutterspeed. It looks pretty sharp, I think. I've shot sharp photos of stage scenes at around 1/30 a second. Others have done very well at basketball games. Here's an image someone posted at dpreview:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos592/1/50/49/24/71/8/871244950105_0_ALB.jpg
I've gotten excellent flash photos using my FZ10, but I don't have any of the photos on-line where I can easily show you. But I don't think you have much to worry about with this camera, and I'd flat-out say that the statement that "the FZ10 was incapable of taking clear photos in a gymnasium with no flash" is hogwash.

Bob Yarbrough
08-14-2004, 07:30 AM
I agree with John...I have used mine extensively especially indoors with family etc.

Also you can use a cheap generic flash with bounce with great results.

I have FZ1, FZ10 and Canon Rebel digital SLR with all the goodies and 30+ years of photo experence. If someone has problems ....then don't blame the FZ10.

PixChick
08-16-2004, 10:08 PM
I am wondering why I keep hearing conflicting info about this camera. One person says it is good indoors (or in low light, which I guess isn't always the same thing??), another says it is not. I guess I will have to just try to use one and decide for myself, since people don't seem to agree.

PixChick :)

John_Reed
08-16-2004, 11:52 PM
I am wondering why I keep hearing conflicting info about this camera. One person says it is good indoors (or in low light, which I guess isn't always the same thing??), another says it is not. I guess I will have to just try to use one and decide for myself, since people don't seem to agree.

PixChick :)Of the three posts before yours on this subject, two were from users of the FZ10, who both had positive things to say about the FZ10's "low-light" performance. The first poster didn't own an FZ10, but had heard a false rumor about how the camera was unable to focus in a gymnasium. No real conflicts, but it's a good idea to try for yourself. Let us know what you think!

PixChick
08-17-2004, 06:50 AM
I am sorry--I guess I didn't give enough info. I was told in another post that the FZ-10 has low light issues. That person owns the FZ-10, hence my confusion. It is hard to argue with the picture in your previous post though. The other thread is one I started and is about comparing the FZ-10 to the A1. I referenced your post in that thread in response to someone saying the FZ-10 was a poor low light performer. I hope this isn't bordering on cross-posting or whatever you call it!!

Listener
08-17-2004, 08:00 AM
I am sorry--I guess I didn't give enough info. I was told in another post that the FZ-10 has low light issues. That person owns the FZ-10, hence my confusion. It is hard to argue with the picture in your previous post though. The other thread is one I started and is about comparing the FZ-10 to the A1. I referenced your post in that thread in response to someone saying the FZ-10 was a poor low light performer. I hope this isn't bordering on cross-posting or whatever you call it!!

I don't know if it's me that you are referring to (to make things even *more* confusing!). I do not own an FZ10, but I've read probably every FZ10 user review on the net (!) and many complained about the focusing difficulty in low-light situations (which doesn't mean it cannot take great low-light shots). The upcoming FZ20 added an AF Assist Lamp to help in that area, among other improvements.

As for dSLR's: I have a camera bag from when I was younger with a Mamiya SLR and an Olympus SLR, lenses, filters etc..I haven't used any of it in years. Personally, I'm not interested in getting back into photography in that same way, albeit digitally. I want an all-in-one ultra-zoom camera that's simple to use yet has more advanced features and will only set me back around $600 (not including extra storage cards).

hdburnham
08-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Need to separate several related issues:

1. Low light autofocus. FZ10 does not have an assist lamp. But does have good features to help you manually focus. How well do these work?
2. Electronic viewfinder: too dark in low light conditions. Is this a problem?
3. Use of an external flash. FZ10 has a flash shoe and will work with hundreds of low-cost, very powerful heads.
4. FZ10 has a F2.8 lens even at full zoom. This should make it better in low light than most other long zoom cams.
5. Noise at 400 ASA. Acceptable? Better or worse than competitors?

I don't own a FZ10 but want to learn more about what it can do, because I'm thinking of buying one or its successor. So, I'm not answering questions, just helping to ask them!! :)

D

John_Reed
08-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Need to separate several related issues:

1. Low light autofocus. FZ10 does not have an assist lamp. But does have good features to help you manually focus. How well do these work?I always get a kick out of this question. See, the FZ10 can work handheld in light which would be very daunting to other cameras without IS, and with slower lenses. But it can focus in low light. It's way faster at that than my Nikon 4500, for example. It really hasn't bothered me, this "lack."

2. Electronic viewfinder: too dark in low light conditions. Is this a problem?
This is the result of a Panasonic "Feature." They've designed the viewfinder to show you what your lighting will look like in the actual shot - WYSIWYG, so to speak. So as you crank down the settings for a flash shot in manual exposure, the EVF goes dark! Me, I don't use manual exposure for flash exposures, and the EVF stays bright enough to frame any subject I can see.

3. Use of an external flash. FZ10 has a flash shoe and will work with hundreds of low-cost, very powerful heads.
4. FZ10 has a F2.8 lens even at full zoom. This should make it better in low light than most other long zoom cams.I don't use external flash. The internal flash serves my needs, mostly because I'm an "available light" kind of guy anyway. You're right about the f2.8 lens.

5. Noise at 400 ASA. Acceptable? Better or worse than competitors?See my answer to that same question of yours in the other thread where you asked it.

PixChick
08-17-2004, 10:53 AM
I don't know if it's me that you are referring to (to make things even *more* confusing!).

It was you who said that you heard/read about it, but someone else who owns an FZ-10 also said the same (in that same thread). The low light problem is relevant to the other thread, but really not the main point of that thread, so hopefully we can just continue the discussion here and let the other thread stay on track. Good point about focusing vs actual shot.