PDA

View Full Version : Canon AE-1 FD Lens on a Canon Rebel?

GT350E
10-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I searched for threads that could tell me if the Canon AE-1 FD lens(s) will work on a Canon Rebel (or any other camera for that matter), but I couldn't find a definitive answer.....this is the closest thread I could find....
I'm finally moving to a digital SLR from my Canon 35mm. Is there a clear winner in the $800-1100 price range? Can I use my Canon lenses on any other camera, such as the new Pentac that is to release soon?

Joseph

..Sorry, maybe I didn't search correctly.:)

I'd like to get into the digital world, but I hate to see "good lens(s)" go to waste, if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!:D

noyjimi
10-27-2006, 02:07 PM
You could try to find an FD to EOS adapter, but they're probably all more trouble than forgetting about the FD lens. Canon did make an official one at some point but they were limited to CPS. You can also try making one yourself such as starting out with a bored out body cap and get parts of the mount in there... :eek: Bottom line... keep the FD lens for your FD-compatible body...

Rhys
10-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Canon did try to make an EOS-FD adaptor but couldn't get infinity focus.

DonSchap
10-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I have a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 with the FD/EF adapter made by Boker, as I also felt that the loss of the impressive glass was just WRONG!

The main problem, like "Rhys" has stated, was that you lose your infinity focus, because the adapter itself places the lens further away from the sensor, If you could move the sensor about 3/8-inch closer to the back of the lens, it'd be fine... but that's simply not possible... and the lens will not allow you to adjust the elements far enough to make up the distance. The lens' internal mechanical stops prohibit this.

So, without infinity focus, you are rather limited in the use of this lens. My personal recommendation is to simply purchase a EF 50mm f/1.8 II for the time being and then, if you feel the need... the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM or EF 28mm f/1.8 USM lens.

Also, you really DO need a MANUAL FOCUSING GRID (http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Katz-Eye-Focusing-Screen-for-the-Canon-20D--prod_20D.html) (<- Click this link) of some kind to use a manual focusing lens. The EOS 20D is effectively clear so you will need to focus ion something with significant contrast to it, otherwise - it's going to be fuzzy! The EOS XT, XTI, 20D and 30D were clearly designed for Autofocus operation... and only in an "emergency" -- should you break glass and manually focus. You can easily buy one of these grids, but they are not cheap. They cost easily twice as much as the EF 50mm F/1.8 II lens and are difficult to install straight.

I agree... it is maddening... but that's what you get with old Canon-glass. :( It really is an itch that Canon should scratch, but they are just not interested. That old-glass made money for them initially, when they sold it... and it won't if you use it, again, on their new camera systems. Economics leaning to your side... doesn't count.

Also, if you have a moment and READ THIS LINK (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17389)... you may see some striking similiarities to your question.

cpaussie
10-27-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm in the same position, I have an AE-1 programme. I was thinking of buying an eos 50 or 50e with a kit lens, for $250 from e-bay. I wonder if I could use that on the 30d, when I eventually get it.

Rhys
10-28-2006, 06:20 AM
The EOS 35mm SLR kit lens will be different. Don't use e-fraud-bay. Instead go for a reputable dealer such as KEH.

GYM
10-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I too, have a Canon A-1 with some nice glass. I thought about selling it on EvilBay, but for what it would sell for, I'd rather keep it. Too bad those lenses won't work with the digital Canons.

Clyde
10-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Just for completeness, let me add:

Without adapters the canon DSLR's use only EF or EF-S mount lenses.

Clyde