PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Customer Service and question on k100d

nishant_81
10-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,

i bought a new K100d from butterflyphoto.com and received it yesterday. the camera seems fine but there is one problem: the sd card holder in the camera seems to be damaged as there is never a 'clicking' sound when i put the card in...as is supposed to be. hence there is never a click when i push the card to get it out...i have to use tweezers or something to pull the card out....! please be assured that i know how to use that thing...so i called up butterflyphoto today and they say its a manufacturer's fault to i should contact them....i was just wondering if any of you have experiences (good/bad) with Pentax customer service before..? are they usually helpful or not...coz if they are not then i ll just try to bug the butterflyphoto ppl or something...! or may be just keep the camera as it is...!!

one question on k100d: is there not a possibility of switching the flash off in a mode that you want...rather than always having to go to the "flash off" mode in the dial?

thanks...i think i am going to like this camera :)

hope to hear from you all really soon....

Nishant

mathetes
10-26-2006, 04:12 PM
the sd card holder in the camera seems to be damaged as there is never a 'clicking' sound when i put the card in...as is supposed to be. hence there is never a click when i push the card to get it out...i have to use tweezers or something to pull the card out....! please be assured that i know how to use that thing...
Nishant

First let me acknowledge your assurance that you know how to use that thing. I always hate it when I contact customer service folks and they start out treating me like an idiot; you've obviously been through the same thing. I don't call until I've done quite a bit of testing, research, etc.

So, with that said, I do need to ask for a bit of clarification. I've only had my own K100D for, oh, two weeks now. I'd had a Canon Powershoot digital before, one that used the slightly larger memory card. With it, when I pushed it in, a little button popped up to the right of the card. And it was that button that one pressed to release the card.

The K100D uses these super small SD cards. The sensation is quite different. I don't hear an audible click, per se. But there's clearly a spring loaded receptacle down in there that accepts the card when it's put in and then releases it and pushes it out part way out when the card is pushed again. But that's what is different from the Canon Powershoot method: there, one pushed the side button to release the card; with the Pentax, it's the card itself. And I assume that this is what you're saying you know, right .... :) And you are saying that it doesn't work the way it ought to.

All that being said, I would think that when something fails like this in the first few days of owning it, the seller is usually (if reputable) obligated (and, if reputable, willing) to take it back and replace it. That's just good customer relations. For them to pass the buck to Pentax certainly wouldn't win any points with me as a customer. I would suggest you ask, if you haven't, to talk with somebody in a management or supervisory position.

My experience with Pentax has been solely in calling with questions, not needing service, and they've always been positive. But that's limited to two calls when I was considering going with the digital SLR and was curious about the backwards compatibility with my old manual Pentax lenses and the like.

mathetes

mathetes
10-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey guys,

i bought a new K100d from butterflyphoto.com and received it yesterday. ..... so i called up butterflyphoto today and they say its a manufacturer's fault to i should contact them....
hope to hear from you all really soon....

Nishant

Here's a quote from Butterfly Photo's "policies" page, regarding returns.

Each product is fully guaranteed by the manufacturer. The complete warranty is included with the product. The manufacturers warranty covers repair or replacement of defective parts, subject to the conditions set forth. On most items, Butterflyphoto.com offers an exclusive 14-day exchange/refund policy to online/mail order customers only. The following products are not acceptable for credit, refund, or exchange and must be repaired by manufacturers authorized service centers: all Pioneer and Panasonic Digital DVD Recorders including TiVo, computer desktops and notebooks and printers. To locate a service center near you, please refer to your product manual. Car Stereo and electronic equipment should be bench-tested PRIOR to installation (units that have been installed, scratched, or abused WILL NOT BE accepted for return or credit!). Pre-recorded videotapes, cassettes, CDs, DVDs and laser discs can only be exchanged for a different title, if unopened! Defective, pre-recorded videotapes, cassettes, CDs, DVDs and laser discs may be exchanged for same title ONLY! Extended Warranties are non-returnable and therefore non-refundable.

It seems to me that you could quote their own policy to them. The exceptions they list do not include Pentax.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.