PDA

View Full Version : Any good store in NewYork?

reveragew
11-24-2004, 06:44 AM
I am planning to get a camera this christmas, does anyone know a good store in NewYork?

Jim Last
11-24-2004, 07:54 AM
B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home/?O=home&A=search&Q=&ci=6886) Super Store gets a lot of praise throughout this forum :)

Anex
11-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Tri State Camera - www.tristatecamera.com - is where I buy my stuff from in NY. They're located on 20th street @ 6th avenue. I go to bhphoto's site for detail, then go to Tri State Camera for the price. They're phone customer service is absolutely brutal and trying to negotiate price is pretty much impossible, but they do have the best prices in town and there is absolutely NO GRAY in what they have. My friends and I have all bought our cameras and extras from there,.

arvadajames
11-24-2004, 02:14 PM
I have shopped both places online and have always been very happy.

lewg1
11-24-2004, 06:30 PM
B and H has the best selection. Also check out Adorama, they are owned by the same people as B and H. Also, Butterfly Photo in Brooklyn.

OTHG MIKE
12-02-2004, 03:05 AM
I just ordered from buydig.com (http://buydig.com). They are in NJ so if you live in NY you wont have to pay tax. I was a little scared to order from them because of a few bad threads in other forums( they wont ship on time, they up sell you, bait and switch). Well I placed an online order for a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 on sunday 11/28 for $484 and a 256MB sd card for $44 and it arrived yesterday 12/1 a day earlier than promised. The price had gone up to $519 on Monday but I still got it for $484 and free shipping and no tax and no phone call from a salesman trying to sell me anything extra.
Mike

rebelowner
12-09-2004, 11:32 PM
It seems like all the online stores are in New York. Both broadway and butterfly are in Brooklyn.

jamison55
12-10-2004, 07:21 AM
I use Adorama regularly, and have had great results. I have also placed a couple of orders through 17th St Photo (who seem to be cheaper than most others) with good results.

skagen
01-02-2005, 09:06 PM
You are playing Russian Roulette if you give your credit card to the guys from BuyDig in New jersey or all of those camera shops in Brooklyn.

The rock-solid places to buy Cameras in New York are the people who have Camera stores before the internet and therefore have a reputation to protect - places such as 17 St Photo (17photo.com) or B&H Photo.

In contrast, those other guys are recent opportunits who could not exist if not for the anonymity offorded by the internet. They operate under 50 different names and dont have anything to lose by ripping you off.

The contrast in service from the rude assH#le who answered the phone when I called Buydig to inquire about a camera vs the super-professional guy who answered the phone at 17 St Photo, said it all.

Even if its $50 or even $100 difference (which often is isn't) I'll always suport the honest guys. Your money is a vote as to what kind of society YOU want to live in. Honsest business will not survive if people go around patronizing crooks just to save a mere couple bucks!

poikkeus
01-05-2005, 11:04 PM
I purchased my Sony W1 at Focus Camera. Prices are extremely competitive. If you order by phone, their staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable.

They have a store in Brooklyn, though I got my camera through the mail. Unlike one or two stores we know of, Focus Camera sells only new in package gear with all the hardware included. They have a high turnover of product, so some popular models (especially those with rebates) tend to sell out quickly.

hotchilidamo
01-06-2005, 05:36 AM
Just got back from a trip to New York and as a Novice digital camera buyer, I went to 17 photo, Adorama and Tri State asking for advice

For friendliness, patience and sound advice I'd recommend Adorama (ask for Larry) - 18th street between 5th and 6th I think

17 photo, a little hard to find and the guy was rude and unhelpful

Tri State only tried to sell me one camera fairly agressively without talking about any of the others I wanted to look at

Eventually I came away with nothing unfortunately as I didn't do enough research to be confident on purchasing. Interestingly though, the prices really aren't that different to what I can get online here (in UK)

skagen
01-16-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm surprised you encountered a rude person at 17 St Photo. In my past experience ordering items from them by phone, they have been super professional and delivered items on time.

You should call up the management and report whomever it was that was rude to you. 17th St is not an internet-era creation. Its a camera shop that has been in existence for a long time. They didn't get that way by being rude to customers. Its the new internet-based folks and the tourist trap shops (TriState being one of those if I recall correctly) that have grown up with that mentality.

BTW I'm surprised that you didn't find the pricing good either. I actually live in the UK (and in another European country before that) and I am horrified at the pricing at Dixon's, Jessops. Tottenham Court Road etc. Even the UK online place are pricey, especially on accessories. That pricing is in fact how/why I started shopping online at US camera places, including 17th St photo! :)