PDA

View Full Version : help, shoot in hazy day.

cwingman
10-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi,
I used auto mode for landscapes pic in a hazy day. THe pic either comes out
1. Very bright flat sky with the landscape being very dark with no color and details or
2. The pic looks greyish with almost no contrast (exposure curves are all cramped to the middle)
What settings should I use in a hazy day for better result (using canon A40)? and is there a way to save my pics already taken in photoshop?

Thank you!
Rog.

JLV
10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Your results are typical of photos taken on a hazy day. This type of lighting results in a flat picture as there is little contrast. I am not familiar with your camera, so I must be general in my suggestions.

Set the light meter to read a small area (center or spot metering). Aim at the part of the picture that is the greatest interest to you. Half press your shutter button. Compose and fully press. If you can set the camera manually, this would help. You can then experiment with different F stops with the same shutter speed. Also, focusing may be better.

I hope this gives you some ideas to try.

cwingman
10-24-2006, 09:35 AM
could you explain how changing the f-stop may help in the situation? thanks.

JLV
10-24-2006, 06:03 PM
could you explain how changing the f-stop may help in the situation? thanks.

The f-stop determines how much light is allowed to reach the sensor (film in a film camera). If the shutter speed is constant, the larger the aperture is opened (smaller number f-stop) the more light. Thus f 2.8 would allow more light than f 16. The parts of your photo that are washed out, are getting too much light. The parts that are too dark to little.