PDA

View Full Version : *istDS vs. K100D

JDZ
10-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi,
Let me try rephrasing my questions. What's causing the rainbow/moire effects and CA in non-post processed sample photos from the K100D? The *istDS didn't seem to exhibit this effect in similar situation photos. Has anyone noticed this in their photos? Can it be avoided by shooting RAW?
Thanks,
JDZ
Here's a sample from Jeff Keller's review of the K100D
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pentax/k100d-review/IMGP0028.JPG
Here's a 100% crop, look at the Honda's bumper - what's up with that?

jeisner
10-22-2006, 06:31 PM
I have over a thousand shots with the K100d and none of them I have noticed any moire? I shoot RAW though (sometimes Jpeg but in natural mode).. Maybe using jpeg 'bright mode' brings it out?

You could also ask on the pentax forums (see my sig)..

JDZ
10-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of the Pentax forum. I am seriously considering the K100D, but it is distressing to see strong moire and CA in 3 out of couple dozen posted review test photos posted by this site and Imaging Resource. I wonder if the penta-mirror (vs. the pentaprism) or the coils used in the shake reduction have to do with it, or if these were pre-production cameras.

I believe from your other posts, you have both an *istDS and a K100D.
Which in your opinon produces better images?

Thanks again,
JDZ

jeisner
10-22-2006, 10:04 PM
CA is caused by the lens...

I wonder if the moire is produced by using "bright mode" for the jpegs, as I never use that (it is the default though). It oversharpens and over-saturates..

I believe from your other posts, you have both an *istDS and a K100D.
Which in your opinon produces better images?

No doubt about it, the K100d.... Well for RAW they are pretty much the same, but the jpeg engine is better in the k100d, just use natural mode not bright mode..