PDA

View Full Version : Comparing ALPHA to 20D/30D/Xti

PHeller
10-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Has anyone been able to overcome the Sony's disavantage in higher ISO noises with diffrent lenses? The Alpha seems like a great camrea, but the Canon's lineup is just such a powerhouse of previously great inovations that its hard to get a good comparison.

Personally...I couldn't use a 400D because of its size, but it is the closest in pricerange and features.

Thoughts?

RichNY
10-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Re-read your post and you're done with your research. You want to be in the Canon family, the XTi is physically too small for many people, unless you are buying used the 20D doesn't make sense as the 30D with rebates is cheaper.

You can research till the cows come home and you are going to end up with the conclusion that with today's pricing and rebates, the best choice for someone without pre-existing lenses is easily the 30D.

Been there, done that, my 30D came Fed-X this past Friday.;)

far2000
10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
try out the 30D at a store.....better grip .......

farouk

DonSchap
10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
IMHO, I think you guys are wasting your time worrying about high-ISO noise. If you are shooting properly and with decent equipment, your ISO should not be over 400 for 90% of your shots. I would concentrate IQ there... but not higher, unless it is just horrible.

So sayeth me... LOL :D

Get a SONY and just stick it to image sh-sh-shake.

SONY A100 w/ Minolta AF50mm f/1.7 @ f/2.8 1/125 sec. ISO-200 Manual (Tungsten Lighting)

CptOfGondor
10-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Holy geez, which Mirage filter is that?

DonSchap
10-23-2006, 04:18 PM
That is a Cokin 13-image filter. It does in the real world with one shutter trip what folks struggle to acheive in Photoshop to acheive.

I like using the multi-image filters when I already have the shot and just want to "spice it up" a little, with some S.E. They come in several flavors... 5, 13, & 25. I also have the "mirage" filter, which I rarely use.

These filters were developed before digital and photo-chop became popular, but they still work with optics... and quite well, too.

CptOfGondor
10-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Looks great!

marcie2002
10-26-2006, 05:18 AM
OH WOW I like that pics. I have the multi image lens I will have to try it out!! I love working with dif effect on dif pics. I have the sony a100 and I LOVE IT!! had it for a few weeks and have no problems. If u work the camera right U will acheive good pics. Its not the camera that takes the pics, Its how u take the pics that will get good results!!!

Marcie

krzkrzkrz
11-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Has anyone been able to overcome the Sony's disavantage in higher ISO noises with diffrent lenses? The Alpha seems like a great camrea, but the Canon's lineup is just such a powerhouse of previously great inovations that its hard to get a good comparison.

Personally...I couldn't use a 400D because of its size, but it is the closest in pricerange and features.

Thoughts?

I dont know whos / what has made that thought of the small grip on the Canon 400D stick. When I first thought about purchasing a DSLR, quite a few people mentioned the grip to be a problem.

I'll tell you this. IT ISNT A BIG PROBLEM. Some people in this forum will provide you with misleading information. Being naive on the industry, I listened and convinced myself that the grip was a big issue. During the same period, I was in and out of stores trying different camera models and builds. Sure the build on the XTi is smaller, but that comes with its advantages, seeing that I like to move around / travel.

TODAY, Im a proud owner of my Canon Rebel XTi 400D. I have no grip issues, what-so-ever with the camera.

AND, to give you an idea. My hands are big enough to grip a basketball. Go figure :)

krzkrzkrz
11-02-2006, 05:10 PM
IMHO, I think you guys are wasting your time worrying about high-ISO noise. If you are shooting properly and with decent equipment, your ISO should not be over 400 for 90% of your shots. I would concentrate IQ there... but not higher, unless it is just horrible.

So sayeth me... LOL :D

I agree.

Pheller, also good to bare in mind that lenses are expensive. You will definately save with Sony's A100 built-in IS (Image Stabilisation) system, by a few hundred $$$ on every lense that you purchase.

In all fairness, even Sony's line of lenses do not come cheap. As with Canon's.
Therefore and to re-iterate, better equipment = no high ISO noise issues.

DonSchap
11-02-2006, 07:56 PM
You do not necessarily need to use SONY lenses to get superior looking shots. TAmROn, Sigma and Tokina have made lenses for the Minolta-mount for years on end... and they work just fine on the SONY A100.

That certainly is some good glass. You will really unnecessarily overspend, using the OEM glass first. I, personally, would only spend my money on glass that I simply could not get any other way.

RichNY
11-02-2006, 08:06 PM
AND, to give you an idea. My hands are big enough to grip a basketball.

Inflated? ;) :D

krzkrzkrz
11-03-2006, 03:27 AM
Inflated? ;) :D

Shhh, dont spoil the moment of truth :cool:

zoomdaddy
11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Just bought the A100, looked at the xti, I like it as well but the deciding factor was the camera IS not lens based. As far as the high iso issue I think that is overstated.. (as stated how often do you shoot above 400 or 800) I have not seen any dslr in above 800 iso range that I would say is great.. So far this is a great camera..:D

Kevin

RichNY
11-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Just bought the A100, looked at the xti, I like it as well but the deciding factor was the camera IS not lens based. As far as the high iso issue I think that is overstated.. (as stated how often do you shoot above 400 or 800) I have not seen any dslr in above 800 iso range that I would say is great.. So far this is a great camera..:D

Kevin

Kevin, the high ISO issue is not overstated by any means- you may just be in a situation where your subjects and environment don't require it.

Every Sunday I shoot my nephew playing indoor roller hockey at a local skating rink. Because of the black ceiling and poor overhead lighting I need to shoot exclusively at ISO 1600 with f/2.8 on my 70-200. I would not be capture useable pictures if I were shooting with the Sony.

Now outdoors on a pleasant day I've got no doubt that it will capture some beautiful images and might leave you with the impression that high ISO is something more likely to be encountered on a forum than in real life.

DonSchap
11-07-2006, 09:51 AM
To be honest, I don't know of many SONY mount telephoto lenses capable of f/2.8... so it's no problem, right? LOL There are really only two, at this time.

The suggested retail price of the SAL-70200G - 70-200mm f/2.8 G-Series is roughly $2400. It was just released, if you can find one. The Minolta-version is around $1750 and more than likely, identical!!!

If you want a review (yes, a real review on this offering... go --> HERE (http://www.marcuskarlsen.com/PhotoBag/Minolta_70-200_f28_SSM.htm)!)

Although this really is some great glass, I suggest that SONY would do far better to offer it at Canon's price for their EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (non-IS), at around $1200... not $1750! Which just happens to be the street price of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM!

And for that 300mm taste you may have, the 300mm f/2.8 just started talking pre-orders... who knows where this one is coming in at? Pre-orders... that's a laugh, the lens was already in production. Must be having issues restamping the cardboard boxes. :rolleyes: It's Minolta stamped version was at $4,500.

HERE (http://www.marcuskarlsen.com/PhotoBag/Minolta_300_f28_SSM.htm) <-- is a review of this one

Obviously, SONY is shooting for some deep pockets with this collection of old (2004), relabeled glass. You can get the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM at B&H for $3900

Personally speaking, I do believe some price adjusting is in order... here and now. Just what will the market bear? Obviously, Konica-Minolta was desperately trying to make up some ground before the end... but at 30% mark-up over Canon's inflated prices??? It's no wonder why they went belly up! I suspect SONY may try to squeeze the same price out of the lenses, but that truly would be a mistake. There will be a lot of IDLE and expensive glass sitting around, as the third-party lens manufacturers have an opportunity to score BIG! :eek: