PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Monopod

bluepeter 26
11-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi - sorry, another question:
Can anyone recommend a lightweight Monopod? I'll be hiking, travelling light, so space & weight will be a priority. Yet wishing to shoot wildlife tells me I need stability.
I've seen a few that are seemingly telescopic - will these be stable?
Are there any pitfalls with a monopod that I should look out for?
I see Ebay has several 'used only once' items for sale - is that because these are poor models, or monopods are 'use once then gather dust' items that I should ignore?
As always, comments much appreciated

Pete

--------------
Panazonic FZ10

StanStan
01-09-2005, 08:00 AM
A light weight mono pod, SIMA SMP-1 is available at FADFUSION.

Does anyone have comments on this mono pod. I want to buy a mono pod!
__________________________________________________ _______________
http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.php?product_item_number=20243800295

Our Price: $13.99Retail Price: $24.95
You Save: $10.96 ($43%)

In stock.
Usually ships in 24 to 48 hours.

FADFUSION.COM Item Number:

Description

Height: 15 1/2" - 55"

Collapsible single leg camera stand gives ultimate support for camcorders and camera

Adds stability and flexibility

Lightweight aluminum with 4 adjustable, lockable sections
__________________________________________________ ___________

StanStan

Rhys
01-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Can anyone recommend a lightweight Monopod? I'll be hiking, travelling light, so space & weight will be a priority. Yet wishing to shoot wildlife tells me I need stability.
I see Ebay has several 'used only once' items for sale - is that because these are poor models, or monopods are 'use once then gather dust' items that I should ignore?

Pete

--------------
Panazonic FZ10

Bah! Monopods!
I had a Manfrotto monopod. It was good and stout and not that heavy. I just found it to be utterly useless. When I'm out and about, taking photos, I find it much easier to open up half a stop or to lean against a wall or a tree to take the picture than to use a clumsy great monopod. In the end I sold the dratted thing.

PhilR.
01-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Although I would agree with Rhys's opinion about monopods, you might consider the following. Many hikers use a walking stick, which can help to steady your footing on uneven terrain, especially when carrying a load. Many of these come with a removable head\grip that when removed, reveals a camera mount. You could get one of these and solve two problems with one solution. Many of these walking sticks are collapsible as well. Go to one of the many online outdoor equipment vendors and you should easily find these....

PhilR.

D70FAN
01-09-2005, 02:13 PM

Pete

--------------
Panazonic FZ10

In spite of Rhys objections, I find that the Manfroto 484 and standard ball-head is not only a great portable platform but a very sturdy, adjustable, walking stick as well. There are not many trees out here in the Sanoran Desert and Saguaro's are stable, but not a good thing to lean against. Even up at The Canyon a tree is not always a convenient steadying point.

For less than the cost of a good walking stick (~$80) you can have both. I use mine quite a bit.

Manstein
01-10-2005, 05:06 AM
I use one made by Gitzo with a ball head which serves well as a walking stick on our northern hills. Must say though that I prefer the manfrotto over centre clips for adjusting the leg length.