PDA

View Full Version : ok now what??

tonya
11-23-2004, 12:19 PM
so i just got my canon a75 - purch from officemax online w/ a 30$ off coupon so i feel good about the deal.

now what else should i consider for necessities???

i know i need memory cards but which mfg, how many and how much capacity - 1 - 512 or a few smaller? and what about rechargable batts?

also is it worth buying a printer, paper and toner from canon or other brand or just go to those places with the little kiosk?

where are reliable spots to buy besides officemax?

i am just an avg photo taker who finally got away from the film - thanks in advance for any thoughts - this forum has been a great resource already!!

D70FAN
11-23-2004, 12:45 PM
so i just got my canon a75 - purch from officemax online w/ a 30$ off coupon so i feel good about the deal.

now what else should i consider for necessities???

i know i need memory cards but which mfg, how many and how much capacity - 1 - 512 or a few smaller? and what about rechargable batts?

also is it worth buying a printer, paper and toner from canon or other brand or just go to those places with the little kiosk?

where are reliable spots to buy besides officemax?

i am just an avg photo taker who finally got away from the film - thanks in advance for any thoughts - this forum has been a great resource already!!

Here are the necessaties:

Good NiMH batteries and charger=MAHA C204F (or W for 110-240V operation) and Powerex 2300mAh batteries available here:

http://nimhbattery.com/batteries.htm

A couple of 256MB CF I cards (speed does not matter for the A75). This should hold over 200 pictures (ea.) at highest quality. Note: always use highest qulaity for originals. You can always shrink them later for e-mailing.

If you have a Fry's Electronics in the area these go for as little a $9.99 after rebate (but you have to wait for a sale)

Another good source is Surplus Computers in Santa Clara CA. They carry PQI cards which are as good as any, and better than most. These are typically 24X so should download faster than standard cards if you use a card reader. A 256MB is $23.99 (free shipping).

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/memory.html

If you use a multicard reader (and I highly recommend it) make sure that it is USB 2.0 High Speed (480bps). The Sabrent 12-in-1 is nice for $13.99. (also on the same page as memory cards from Surplus Computer). Unfortunatey, these are not free shipping.

That should about do it. I use all of these devices daily, and am especially happy with the MAHA charger and Powerex batteries. There are also some new Energizer 2500mAh NiMH batteries that look interesting. The PQI memory cards are also a good value as is the Sabrent reader.

Bon Foto...

tonya
11-23-2004, 01:16 PM
thanks george, i am checking those links out now. tony