PDA

View Full Version : DSLR and LCD

dropman
11-23-2004, 11:20 AM
First of all - i am newbie in digital photo. Not TOTAL newbie, but also not expierienced user :)

So i am wondering why not to make DSLR show on LCD what camera sees (like on compact digital cameras). I know basic construction of DSLR, but is it not possible to make such "magic" swich which will turn that mirror away and project what lens sees directly on sensor, and then on lcd!

Maybe you'll think that i am a bit crazy :D but i just want to understand why not to make such "feature" :rolleyes:

ktixx
12-01-2004, 07:55 AM
First of all - i am newbie in digital photo. Not TOTAL newbie, but also not expierienced user :)

So i am wondering why not to make DSLR show on LCD what camera sees (like on compact digital cameras). I know basic construction of DSLR, but is it not possible to make such "magic" swich which will turn that mirror away and project what lens sees directly on sensor, and then on lcd!

Maybe you'll think that i am a bit crazy :D but i just want to understand why not to make such "feature" :rolleyes:

You have to remember that with a DSLR, even if you flipped the mirror up and opened the shutter, you would be looking at the same image that you see in the eyepiece (Minus a few % because the eyepiece usually only see's around 95%) So to display the image on the LCD would cost extra money, require more buttons, more moving parts and overall be a waste considering the eyepiece is a view through the lens. This "magic" button that you speak of is really the equivalent of taking a picture. Take the picture, view it on your LCD, if you don't like it Delete it. Hope this helps.

dropman
12-04-2004, 06:56 AM
It helped. But I think its more comfortable to use LCD as viewfinder :) Maybe i'm wrong, because i've never used DSLR before ;)

Rossi
12-04-2004, 09:30 AM
This is precisely why I've chosen the Dslr over the digital camera that I wanted (Panasonic FZ 20 or FZ 15)

I really want to take pix with an eyepiece. But the picture is so fuzzy and bad through the Panasonic's evf that I couldnt even really tell if I was focussed in after using the Manual Focus feature.

Sea_Slug
12-06-2004, 02:57 AM
I feel that the point with any SLR (proper camera) is to actually look at what you are doing no to distance yourself...
And maybe I am the crazy one but holding any SLR out at a distance from your face not only looks a bit silly but will be less stable and therefore add camera shake...
Just my opinion... :)