PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K100d/Nikon D50/Olympus E500/Canon 350d

nishant_81
10-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi,

I am sure most of you would be sick of this question by now, but still, i ll raise it again. I am looking for buying an entry level DSLR camera real soon and have narrowed down to these options. and now (predictably) i am totally confused, coz:

Pentax: appeals a lot, has IS, cheaper lenses, better body (am more inclined towards this)

Canon: higher resolution for same price, canon cameras seem to have better reputation

Olympus: higher resolution for same price, 2 lenses in kit (14-45 and 50-180), Senson cleaning

Nikon: seems to be the best rated camera out of all, people have said that its image quality is also better than all others, but has expensive accessories.

I am on the verge of driving myself crazy, as I have research all 4 of these extensively. :) Each of these has its own plus points and negatives, so there is no clear winner. I am just a little more inclined towards Pentax coz i have heard real real good reviews from some people and also the fact that it has IS. That would probably make buying lenses without VR, easier and cheaper.

I would really appreciate if the honorable members of this forum could put in their thoughts. It will be a huge help for me. :)

Thanks and am really looking forward to your comments and suggestions soon, as I plan to buy the camera asap.

thanks again,
Nishant

Rhys
10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi,

I am sure most of you would be sick of this question by now, but still, i ll raise it again. I am looking for buying an entry level DSLR camera real soon and have narrowed down to these options. and now (predictably) i am totally confused, coz:

Pentax: appeals a lot, has IS, cheaper lenses, better body (am more inclined towards this)

Canon: higher resolution for same price, canon cameras seem to have better reputation

Olympus: higher resolution for same price, 2 lenses in kit (14-45 and 50-180), Senson cleaning

Nikon: seems to be the best rated camera out of all, people have said that its image quality is also better than all others, but has expensive accessories.

I am on the verge of driving myself crazy, as I have research all 4 of these extensively. :) Each of these has its own plus points and negatives, so there is no clear winner. I am just a little more inclined towards Pentax coz i have heard real real good reviews from some people and also the fact that it has IS. That would probably make buying lenses without VR, easier and cheaper.

I would really appreciate if the honorable members of this forum could put in their thoughts. It will be a huge help for me. :)

Thanks and am really looking forward to your comments and suggestions soon, as I plan to buy the camera asap.

thanks again,
Nishant

Some other things to think about:
Pentax uses AA batteries.
Pentax pre-digital lenses might not give as good results as their digital range.
Olympus - this is a very small CCD which tends to be noisier. The future of cameras with small CCDs is in question since Canon is going full frame.
Canon's XTi has a self-cleaning sensor.
Most IS is really not needed - especially for wider-angle lenses.

nishant_81
10-16-2006, 04:47 PM
thanks for your suggestions. the canon with self cleaning sensor is rebel xti 400 as far as i know. 350 i dont think has that. aa batteries is a plus point for Pentax (right?). Olympus, i think i am about to rule this one out. IS: so is image stabilization really helpful or it is only useful in very specific locations? does it not come into play in day to day photography?

thanks!

wh0128
10-16-2006, 05:24 PM
aa batteries is a plus point for Pentax (right?). IS: so is image stabilization really helpful or it is only useful in very specific locations? does it not come into play in day to day photography?

Well for me, and others I'd think that the AA batteries would be a pain since they don't last as long as lets say the D50's battery that lasts up to a couple thousand shots of Jpeg images, or depending how long you keep it on. I'm sure it would outbeat the AA any day, and plus it is rechargable. AA are expensive unless you get rechargable AA that could take awhile to recharge.

The IS feature is more useful in lowlight, dawn or dusk, when the lens can't open up wide enough, so the image experiences a blur. IS is just another one of those features that is probalby only used in nighttime photography, because most people can hold a camera steady for the fraction of a second in daylight.

jeisner
10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
For me AA is an advantage, I get around 700 or so shots from a rechargable set of NiMH AAs which only take around 40minutes to charge.. It is an advantage as I have forgotten to charge my batteries before a holiday before and when they ran out I could easily and cheaply grab some non rechargable AA batteries for the emergency.. Others don't like AA, but we all have different priorities..

Other reasons I like Pentax:

-Their lenses IMO include a lot of very high quality glass at very competitive prices, and generally more compact than the competition..

-SR is a great feature for me, it works well with my 300mm lens, for my 90mm macro and of course in lower light situations...

-Spot metering I use a lot, mainly for closeup or macro work, and most of the competition doesn't have this in their low end..

- The grip, for my hands Pentax DSLRs fit very well.. Though that is different for everyone, try them out yourself..

- Viewfinder, the K100d has a smaller viewfinder than the DS or D had, but still better than the competition.. Have a look through them all ;-)

- Primes, and small ones at that.. I love small prime lenses, I generally carry the DA21/3.2 pancake, 35/2 and 50/1.4 (will have the DA70/2.4 soon).. I can't get a combo as good (IQ @ tiny size) from any other camera manufacturer.. But thats a very individual feature I happen to like ;-)

Your milage may vary though.. All the current DSLRs from Pentax, Nikon, Olympus and Canon are VERY good cameras in my opinion (have used them all at work) and they all have their advantages and shortcomings, it is just a matter of which features fit you best.. On these forums we generally all recommend the brand we use, as that was the one with the features that served OUR needs the best...

EDIT: P.S. the difference is resolution between 6 and 8 is tiny really.. If you want an upgrade on 6 you would have to jump up to 10mp.. So you would have to choose from the Nikon D80, Canon 400d or the upcoming Pentax K10d..

Pentax pre-digital lenses might not give as good results as their digital range.

I few shots from Pentax pre-digital lenses (BTW Pentax is second only to Olympus in the number of digital specific lenses)...

http://www.pbase.com/joele/image/66928665/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/joele/image/64299665/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/joele/image/68699327/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/joele/image/67797688/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/joele/image/68699573/original.jpg

JustEd
11-12-2006, 08:16 PM
I have a Panasonic Lumix FX9 with 6 megs resolution and usually just have it set to 3 megs for the people and pet shots that are my norm. There is a lot going on inside a digital camera from the time a picture hits the sensor. Just a higher number of pixels does not guarantee superior looking pictures. Resolution is only one important factor to a good producing good sharp, well exposed, focused, and saturated pics. If you are doing a type of photography that demands super high resolution, say making poster sized prints, then go for a 10 meg model. Having a higher resolution also gives you a fudge factor when croping a picture, but I usually have a chanch to compose my shots well before taking them anyway.

The nice thing about the Pentax having only a 6 megapixel sensor is that they will probably will have to drop their price even more to sell 'em.

WightWalker
11-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Well for me, and others I'd think that the AA batteries would be a pain since they don't last as long as lets say the D50's battery that lasts up to a couple thousand shots of Jpeg images, or depending how long you keep it on. I'm sure it would outbeat the AA any day, and plus it is rechargable. AA are expensive unless you get rechargable AA that could take awhile to recharge.

When AA batteries are mentioned as the prime power source for the Pentax dSRLs, it is generall assumed that we are talking about NiHi which will only take ages to charge if they are 'trickle' charged. Fast chargers which, don't cost the earth, will charge high capacity NiHi batteries in much less than a hour.

I don't regard the life of NiHi as inferior to lithium as with in excess of 500 shots from a set of 2300 mAh NiHi batteries, that will do fine for several days shooting.

Rhys
11-13-2006, 08:25 AM
I have a charger that claims to charge AAs in 10 minutes. More like 20 but it does work.

Phill D
11-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Slightly off topic I suppose but I couldn't let those excellent pictures go past jeisner without a well deserved comment they really show off the sharpness of the lenses well & I love the compositions - nice post. Also as you mentioned it, any thoughts from a K100D expert on the potential benefits of the new K10D & will you be upgrading?

SpecialK
12-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi Nishant:

I bought the Pentax K100D after exhausting the possibility of an XTi or a Nikon. You will pay at least twice the price for a 3-lens setup without any noticeable image quality increase if you go Canon or Nikon. The lenses with stabilization in them will kill you.

The body, a Pentax 10-17mm, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and Sigma 70-300 APO is under $1500. Can't even get close any other way. You can see some pix with those lenses on the Amazon page for the K100D.

AA batteries are great. 8 x 2700 mah's and 2 hour charger is $65. I shot 200 pix and it still did not dent the battery-life indicator.

As far as IS goes, it has been a plus in every review for every camera. That is why Canon and Nikon can charge extra for it in their lenses. It allows you to shoot in lower light, at a higher F-stop, or slower shutter speed - all other things being equal.

I had a lot of Canon-film stuff for 25 years, so I wanted to go with an XTi at first, and also looked a Nikon. I ultimately chose Pentax and I am glad I did.