PDA

View Full Version : RAYNOX DCR-250 or hoya multicoat close up set

shoeytennis
10-16-2006, 12:04 PM
okay guys i wants good macro lens and have come down to these two!
Now its time to tell me wich one
RAYNOX DCR-250
or
hoya
Multicoated
Close-up Set of 3
+1, +2, +4

truflip
10-16-2006, 04:01 PM
get both n return the inferior one?

Vric
10-16-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm in the same situation. Both look good, but the Hoya would be a bit more flexible imo. I still haven't choose.

truflip
10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm in the same situation. Both look good, but the Hoya would be a bit more flexible imo. I still haven't choose.

flexible in what way?

XaiLo
10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
flexible in what way?

truflip, for $49.00 with the Hoya set you get a +1, +2, and a +4 close up lens that you can mix and combine for different results.

Vric
10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
flexible in what way?

In the way you can have +1, +2, +4, +6 or +7 instead of only +8.

The higher the number, the closer you will have to be of the subject to focus. This is why we want those lens, but sometime being at 10cm of the subject could be hard, while the Hoya set will let you focus at different distance.

I also think getting this set, I'm just wondering about the quality of those lens compared to the raynox.

XaiLo
10-16-2006, 08:37 PM
I also think getting this set, I'm just wondering about the quality of those lens compared to the raynox.

OK guys let's not be lazy these are forums and in all likelihood what you want to know has already been asked. Don't get me wrong I don't mind helping anyone. but search the forums in this way you maybe able to help someone else.

This should get you started Vric, it is a link to a close-up comparison.

Close-Up Comparison (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=154027&postcount=1)

shoeytennis
10-16-2006, 10:02 PM
i heard the raynox is a little difficult to get shots sometimes.
like you guys were saying the hoya set has 3 peices for more options wich is kindof cool but im still not sure wich ones to get yet althought im starting to lean towards the hoya set.

truflip
10-16-2006, 11:18 PM
did you guys ever realize that if you zoom out the raynox, u get +7? zoom out a bit more and u get +4.. etc.. all in one piece? i mean.. these are macro lenses, if u have hoya +1.. whats the point? you would want at least +4 right? thats the point of having macro lens.. and the raynox can cover the range of the 3 hoya glasses all in one small glass...

i have pictures if it helps me explain what i mean by zooming in and out ;) but then again.. people have preferences.. theyre both $50 too i think

PS: it takes some practice to use the raynox at full telephoto.. i mean, at full zoom, u can notice the slightest shake.. and with such small DOF u have to be still.. u must know your distance and only stay within that distance.. n you prolly want to get some sort of diffuser to light up the subject.. bare flash will work but sometimes its too harsh.. if you zoom out even just one stop, you pretty much double your DOF, which is great.. your working distance wil almost stay the same though...

XaiLo
10-17-2006, 05:30 AM
did you guys ever realize that if you zoom out the raynox, u get +7? zoom out a bit more and u get +4.. etc.. all in one piece? i mean.. these are macro lenses, if u have hoya +1.. whats the point? you would want at least +4 right? thats the point of having macro lens.. and the raynox can cover the range of the 3 hoya glasses all in one small glass...

i have pictures if it helps me explain what i mean by zooming in and out ;) but then again.. people have preferences.. theyre both $50 too i think...

truflip, the point is DOF and subject matter especially with the S2/S3 which loves infinity, the 250 is a supermacro lens that being the case it really depends on how and what you want to shoot.

Vric
10-17-2006, 06:17 AM
u must know your distance and only stay within that distance.. n you prolly want to get some sort of diffuser to light up the subject.. bare flash will work but sometimes its too harsh.. if you zoom out even just one stop, you pretty much double your DOF, which is great.. your working distance wil almost stay the same though...

This is exactly why the Hoya set is interesting. While you are set at only one distance to focus with the Raynox, with the Hoya you will have different possibility. So, if it's impossible to get at 12cm of the object, you are screwed with the Raynox, while with Hoya set you can simply go with a +4 instead and be at 22cm or so (my number aren't accurate, it's just to illustrate my point)

Sure, the Raynox will offer the most magnification, but in all situation, you must be at about 12cm of the object to focus.

At least, this is what I learned so far.

Edit: the post you have posted is very useful. Thanks. (I did search, but didn't see that post. Searching for Hoya or closeup bring up so many post.)

It also show my point about the Hoya.
+1 will work at 15"
+2 will work at 10"
+4 will work at 5"
Raynox will only work at 5", but offer better magnification than the +4 Hoya. (sadly he didn't tried combining the Hoya for +7)

truflip
10-17-2006, 10:05 AM
well then theres not much comparison between the Hoya macro kit and the Raynox supermacro lens

its kinda like... comparing dSLR to a point n shoot isnt it? theyre both in their own categories... hmmmm....

that Hoya looks interesting tho... +1 will work at 15"
why not just use telezoom? :p

truflip
10-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Edit: the post you have posted is very useful. Thanks. (I did search, but didn't see that post. Searching for Hoya or closeup bring up so many post.)
heh, no problem :o glad it was able to help you out ;)

Vric
10-17-2006, 12:07 PM
that Hoya looks interesting tho... +1 will work at 15"
why not just use telezoom? :p

Because the +1 focus at 15" while the telezoom focus at 3fts?

The +1 give you the same magnification as the telezoom, but let you work much closer.

The +2 is the same as the Canon 500D and +4 is about the same as Canon 250D. It's also about the same as the "Super macro" mode at 1 inch, but at least you have a working distance that is acceptable.

Now I just wish he did the same test with Hoya +7 vs the Raynox (which is +8) I think the difference wouldn't be that much.

truflip
10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
+7 vs +8 is a small difference i would say..
btw IF you use full telezoom then u have to be 3 feet away... but if u just use like 3-4x i think u can be a foot away... i dont have my cam with me today so cant really check it out.........

so can I ebay one of these Hoya kits? i wanna try it n see what its like :)

FLiPMaRC
10-17-2006, 12:59 PM
so can I ebay one of these Hoya kits? i wanna try it n see what its like :);) http://www.2filter.com/prices/Macro_Close-up_lenses.html

XaiLo
10-17-2006, 03:48 PM
truflip sees the light at the end of the tunnel. ;)

truflip
10-17-2006, 05:23 PM
its a very small light.. but im a curious guy :p

XaiLo
10-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Let the sunshine my friend. :)