PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my *istD

Joe Davis
10-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before but didn't find much info on it. I am looking to upgrade my *istD is the next few months. Been looking at specs for the K10D. Is this the best upgrade? What will the jump from 6.1 to 10.1 megapixels get me? Better picture?

Thanks and sorry if these are dumb questions.

KAFman
10-15-2006, 03:49 AM
Download samples from Pentax UK of Japan site and decide for yourself.

WightWalker
11-03-2006, 09:20 AM
On the face of it, the K10 seems to offer virtually everything that currently you could ask for BUT.

I've heard a few whispers about image noise from the 10M sensor - true or false, I don't know. However, the ISO has dropped to 100 from 200 which to my mind would tend to support this. With a 10M sensor, obviously the pixel size has been reduced to keep it within the APS format.

What does this mean in real terms - KAFman suggests viewing the images to check things out. I would be a tad more cautious & wait for the K10 release & reviews from this & other camera related sites.

The *istD is a good camera & if I could have afforded it, I'd have gone for that instead of the *istDS - not that I'm dissappointed with it at all.

Be patient & stick with *istD until the performance of the K10 is known.

Peleg
11-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before but didn't find much info on it. I am looking to upgrade my *istD is the next few months. Been looking at specs for the K10D. Is this the best upgrade? What will the jump from 6.1 to 10.1 megapixels get me? Better picture?

I think it would be great upgrade. You'll get SR (shake reduction), sensor cleaning, weather sealed body, new pro-optics quality lenses, and the newest software/hardwaren (PRIME) Pentax has to offer all at a very reasonable price. As far as the 10 mp sensor...I'd have preferred an 8 mp. It seems to be the best balance between resolution and noise. Pentax has stated that their main goal is to maximize the 10 mp resolution not reduce noise so I'm assuming that they will not have the low noise images Canon provides.

The delivery of this camera has been delayed. By how much will be known when it starts shipping. Too many 'net rumors to nail down any real shipping date. Pentax has stated everything from trying to fill the much larger demand than what was anticipated to trouble testing the SR and weather sealing for the reason for the rather severe delay. Who knows. If you're gonna go for this camera (and I think you should) you'll need to be patient.

Just my 2.148956217 cents.

Rhys
11-04-2006, 07:47 PM

You might get problems with the fact it takes SD as SD is only available up to 2GB.

spacerabbit
11-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Actually SD goes up to 4gb now.

Joe Davis
11-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I shoot a lot of sports including swim meets and softball/baseball games so the weather sealed body was very tempting right off the bat. Already read on another site that the K10 is starting to trickle out so it won't be too long now. I just have to decide on what lens to get with it. My *istD has a Sigma 28-200mm lens that will stay with it so I will need another one for the K10.

Thanks again.

Rhys
11-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Actually SD goes up to 4gb now.

That's the problem. SD only goes up to 2GB. HDSD goes up further. The two are incompatible although they're the same size with the same contacts etc.

Joe Davis
12-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Got my K10D this week. Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it. Now I gotta figure out all the new stuff this bad boy has to offer.

jeisner
12-08-2006, 10:43 PM
You might get problems with the fact it takes SD as SD is only available up to 2GB.

The K10d and the K100d both support both SD and SDHC, so you can go over 2gb ;-)

CptOfGondor
12-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Wait..I never really understood the difference between the *Ist D and the *Ist DS. I always thought that the DS was largely the next step up. Like an improvement.

jeisner
12-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Wait..I never really understood the difference between the *Ist D and the *Ist DS. I always thought that the DS was largely the next step up. Like an improvement.

DS is newer, but wasn't as 'high-end' as the D, it didn't have the level of external controls as the D nor was the AF speed or shutter quality as good..

Rhys
12-11-2006, 08:07 AM
DS is newer, but wasn't as 'high-end' as the D, it didn't have the level of external controls as the D nor was the AF speed or shutter quality as good..

I am baffled as to why companies produce cheaper versions with deliberately infereor focussing etc. It would make more sense instead of producing cheapo castrated versions to reduce the cost of the top end model to mid-way between the cost of the cheapo version that they would have produced and the price they were charging for the top end version. Thus they'd get more people buying the top end.

At the end of the day there's no difference in the manufacturing cost in either labour or parts for the top end or the cheapo models.

jeisner
12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I am baffled as to why companies produce cheaper versions with deliberately infereor focussing etc. It would make more sense instead of producing cheapo castrated versions to reduce the cost of the top end model to mid-way between the cost of the cheapo version that they would have produced and the price they were charging for the top end version. Thus they'd get more people buying the top end.

At the end of the day there's no difference in the manufacturing cost in either labour or parts for the top end or the cheapo models.

I guess they just wanted 2 tiers of products? I still preferred to use the D over the DS even though it was older...