PDA

View Full Version : Macro Help

PearlIndulgence
10-13-2006, 07:30 AM
I was told you can get a better focus on things using marco mode. I have a Cannon Powershot G6 and when using digital zoom I get decent pictures but would like something more detailed when photographing my pearls. I couldn't seem to get the macro mode to take any better pictures, i turned marco and super macro mode on and got worse results then with the digital zoom. Any tips on how to use macro mode properly with good results?

JLV
10-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Macro usually allows you to get the lens closer to your subject. It also reduces your depth of field. If your pearls are on a flat surface, DOF should not be a problem. Be sure you focusing on the pearls.

PearlIndulgence
10-13-2006, 08:18 PM
which setting is best for macro mode on my canon? I got ISO on 400, it gets close buts have trouble focusing and when the flash goes on it blurs the whole image

David Metsky
10-13-2006, 09:31 PM
You don't want to use the flash on the camera. You should be lighting the pearls using other lights and take the pictures without flash. Proper lighting will also allow it to focus faster.

And I agree with other posters, you should combine all your threads into a single one so people don't have to repeat themselves.

-dave-

Jake2
10-28-2006, 06:24 AM
Make sure you're not using any zoom, optical or digital, when using macro mode. They don't work on macro mode with most cameras.

Tsanford
10-31-2006, 05:23 AM
I tend to use the setup that they used at lensmate, which can be seen here http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/A620A610macrosetup.html
I usually change the f stop around to get different results, but this setup is pretty good. As long as you have good lighting all around the perls and you have good macro settings, then it should be good. I would set this up on a tripod or somewhere where the camera is still. Also, I would stay away from the digital zoom, and use macro or super macro. Lastly If you want to get in close, use the wide angle, and you can get as close as less than 1".

sla
11-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi
PearlIndulgence, maybe the following would help:
1- don't use digital zoom, it certainly won't bring any details. It' the same like resizing in editing software. (You may need digital zoom if you don't use editing software)
2- are you sure, that the blur is caused by bad focus? Maybe it's camera shake?
3- i don't know your camera, but some in cameras macro works only inside particular distance range (for instance 4-80cm without zoom and 15-100cm with zoom). Check your user's manual and the distance.
regards
S.

davew
12-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Get yourself a light tent I have this one from ebay and it works well
http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/ff/b8/75_2.JPG

Here is a sample pic from my D50 with one of the wife's purses in it.

http://www.handgunplace.com/images/misc/purse_light_tent_test.jpg

SpecialK
12-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I used a Powershot A620 (or was it an A95?) on a tripod to take a manual-focus macro shot of a diamond ring on a very dark blue or black backgound. In macro mode (the flower symbol) the center of the image is magnified so you can determine the correct focus more easily. However, being so close to the subject, the flash was just shooting past the subject. After some trial and mostly error, I used some folded up white printer paper and held it at about 45 degrees next to the ring just out of the shot. Finally got a good one.

davew
12-09-2006, 08:01 PM
In a light tent I dont use flash I put the lights outside the tent..