PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for the D70 ?

Ron Rosenwald
11-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Almost have decided on the D70....... I have an 8008S that has a AF Nikkor 28-70 and a 75-300 telephoto....... will these work on the D-70 body ? This might just make up my mind real fast! Love using the 8008 and it feels great....but it is time to go digital.
Ron

Terracotta
11-23-2004, 01:34 AM
From what I understand any Nikon F mount lens will work with the D70 but with non-CPU lenses you lose features, AF, light metering, etc. assuming your lenses are -
AF Nikkor 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D
AF Nikkor 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6
If the 28-70 is a D then you're sorted and from what I can tell with a quick search the 75-300 and it seems it works like a G series lens (everyone mentions no distance chip hands up I don't know what that means but that's the only thing they ever mention, so unless I've missed something it works like a G series lens). However if these aren't the lenses you have then I'm totally off.

D70FAN
11-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Almost have decided on the D70....... I have an 8008S that has a AF Nikkor 28-70 and a 75-300 telephoto....... will these work on the D-70 body ? This might just make up my mind real fast! Love using the 8008 and it feels great....but it is time to go digital.
Ron

The answer to both questions is yes. Just don't expect them to do more than they did on your 8008S. Since they are AF they will of course auto focus. And keep in mind that you now have a 1.5X crop factor/multiplier, so that 75-300 is now a 112-450 and the 28-70 is now a 42-105.

Good move, but allow time to learn the new camera. Even auto, has setting capabilities.

I recommend (for what that's worth) the new D70 e-book from Peter iNova.

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/

And low the fun begins... ;)

Ron Rosenwald
11-23-2004, 08:21 PM
on the lens...... guess I will have to travel down to my local camera store and check this out sometime next week when i have some free time.... will try to let y'all know what transpired once I know myself! Thanks for the interest.
Ron

D70FAN
11-24-2004, 09:02 AM
on the lens...... guess I will have to travel down to my local camera store and check this out sometime next week when i have some free time.... will try to let y'all know what transpired once I know myself! Thanks for the interest.
Ron

The D designation is for flash Distance/ambient light measurement. Even the kit lens is a G type and does just fine in flash situations. Actually my Sigma 18-125 also does a nice job. For your long zooms I doubt you will be taking many flash photos, so it's kind of a moot point.

Bon Foto.

Jeremiah
11-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Ron
Hey Ron, take both lenses to the camera store with you and try them on that D70. There is no designation on the lense;D-series lenses have an aperture ring, G-series do not. My 28-80 worked fine the 75-300 no luck,
I plan on taking it to the store and trying on the D70 on display. It is supposed to work, when you set it on your smallest aperture and lock down the aperature ring.

Ron Rosenwald
11-27-2004, 06:00 PM
and I believe that i will take the lenses with me to try them out on the body..... admit I am still interested in seeing the new Olympus E300 and comparing it with the Nikon....... but may be able to swing a good deal trading the old 8008s in so just might go that way...... Damn! decisions----'decisions!
Ron :)