PDA

View Full Version : Sony A100 Focus Issues...

Digicamforever
10-10-2006, 04:54 PM
My new "Alpha" just arrived today and I have been busy shooting test shots all afternoon.
I have been a Canon DSLR user for many years and went through the D30, D60, 10D & RebelXT.
I have also used a Fuji S1 & S2 Pro, Nikon D100 & D70 (my wifes cameras) so I have been using DSLR's for almost 6 years now.

The first issue I noticed is my camera is constantly re-focusing. This is happening with 3 different lenses, including the stock 18-70.
I have tried all the different focusing modes (AFS, AFA, AFC & DMF) but it makes no difference. No matter what I do, the camera constantly keeps re-focussing as long as it is powered up and not asleep.
With every other DSLR we have owned, focusing does not start until you press the shutter halfway and then whatever focussing mode is selected starts up.
This A100 body just keeps trying to focus unless I change it to MF or shut the camera off. This is not good. I can't believe this will not affect battery life and frankly the constant focussing as I am walking around is driving me a bit nutty. Can't be good for the motors in the lenses either to keep going constantly.
I wanted to try this camera because of the anti shake technology (Super Steady Shot in Sony Speak) and because my Canon 100-400 IS lens has now broken for the 3rd time and I am tired of sending it in to be fixed...
Is anyone else having this same issue? I tried calling Sony earlier but could not get a tech on the line.
Thanks for any assistance.
Will

Tommybojangs
10-10-2006, 08:11 PM
My new "Alpha" just arrived today and I have been busy shooting test shots all afternoon.
I have been a Canon DSLR user for many years and went through the D30, D60, 10D & RebelXT.
I have also used a Fuji S1 & S2 Pro, Nikon D100 & D70 (my wifes cameras) so I have been using DSLR's for almost 6 years now.

The first issue I noticed is my camera is constantly re-focusing. This is happening with 3 different lenses, including the stock 18-70.
I have tried all the different focusing modes (AFS, AFA, AFC & DMF) but it makes no difference. No matter what I do, the camera constantly keeps re-focussing as long as it is powered up and not asleep.
With every other DSLR we have owned, focusing does not start until you press the shutter halfway and then whatever focussing mode is selected starts up.
This A100 body just keeps trying to focus unless I change it to MF or shut the camera off. This is not good. I can't believe this will not affect battery life and frankly the constant focussing as I am walking around is driving me a bit nutty. Can't be good for the motors in the lenses either to keep going constantly.
I wanted to try this camera because of the anti shake technology (Super Steady Shot in Sony Speak) and because my Canon 100-400 IS lens has now broken for the 3rd time and I am tired of sending it in to be fixed...
Is anyone else having this same issue? I tried calling Sony earlier but could not get a tech on the line.
Thanks for any assistance.
Will

Turn off the eye sensor. That will revert your camera back to the ones you're used to using. In addition, you can press the AF button on the backside to force the camera to focus on your target. Hopefully that should work for you.

OR

Keep away from the eye sensor until you're ready to shoot. I noticed that if you're holding the camera in your hand and you cover or wave anything in front of the eye sensor, the camera will focus and and the LCD screen will go dim. It's possible your camera has a malfunction, but I doubt it. There is a benefit to the eye sensor, so if you are out shooting several photos of something from a stationary position, I recommend turning it back on.

Digicamforever
10-10-2006, 08:35 PM
I guess I would have figured this out by actually Reading the manual! :)
I have a Sony R1 and the "Eye Sensor" on that body (VERY Nice camera BTW)
is used to switch between a live preview on the LCD or through the lens.

Thanks so much for the info...

DonSchap
10-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Good call!

The eye-start AF can save a shot... or mess it up. You have to use it properly.

Eye Start AF isn't anything new to previous Minolta SLR owners but Sony are obviously keen to continue its use. On the A100 Eye Start AF does exactly what it says, when the sensor detects the proximity of your eye to the eyepiece it begins to auto focus and remains in 'continuous' auto focus until the shutter release is half-pressed or you put the camera down. In reality this means that the camera is likely to have an approximate focus on the subject before shutter release.

The higher-end Canon EOS (EOS-3 and EOS-1D N & 1Ds MkII) series also has an eye-sensor, though it is a bit more refined in that it actually picks where your eye is looking to accomplish the spot focus. It can take a little getting used to.