PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 5700 double images

Snyderman
07-22-2004, 11:01 PM
I am having a wierd problem that maybe someone can help me with. I have a Nikon 5700 coolpix. There are shots that I would like to get in lower light without using the flash. As an amateur I started with raising the ISO manually. However, any setting I use above 100 I get a double image. What I mean is, for example, if I shot someone doing jumping jacks, I might get one image with the person with their hands in the air and one with their hands at their side in the same, single image with the same background. Not smudging as if it were someone moving with a slow shutter speed set, but two distinct, in focus, sharp images of the person with a single background...and the lighting looks good.

Are there any ideas out there? What is your technique for shooting in indoor lighting without using the flash and keeping some quicker shutter speed to avoig blurring? Thanks.

Snyderman

Jake Conner
07-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Are you by any chance shooting these under fluorescent lights? These can sometimes create a strobe effect, which could cause what you're seeing.

Jake

Snyderman
07-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Jake,

I appreciate your ideas. It's nice to have a senior member help me out. This happens inside and outside, mercury vapor or incandescent. This is just wierd.

Keith

Jake Conner
07-28-2004, 12:20 AM
Could you post some samples, along with descriptions of the conditions they were taken under?

Jake

Snyderman
08-15-2004, 05:50 PM
I posted them at this site.

http://www.loggersoccer.net/Doubles.htm

Let me know what you think...I am concerned that that camera may be at fault, but I hope it is just me.

These were shot using the fully automatic function, but I chose a 400 ISO as the only varialbe. It also takes a long time to get the shot. That is, once I press the shutter button, it may be several seconds blank before the next shot can be taken.

Keith

D70FAN
08-15-2004, 11:36 PM
I posted them at this site.

http://www.loggersoccer.net/Doubles.htm

Let me know what you think...I am concerned that that camera may be at fault, but I hope it is just me.

These were shot using the fully automatic function, but I chose a 400 ISO as the only varialbe. It also takes a long time to get the shot. That is, once I press the shutter button, it may be several seconds blank before the next shot can be taken.

Keith

Wow. This looks like pictures taken with slow-sync. Do you have the flash turned on? With slow-sync enabled?

Sarah
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
:(
I would be interested to hear if you've figured this one out.

I've been having a similar problem with my Nikon Coolpix 5700 - about 15 months old - that is, double images like those you posted. The problem is intermittent. I took it to the store where I bought it, the guy thought it was camera-shake but then tried it for himself and got the same problem- intermittently. As he pointed out, the picture replays fine for the first, maybe, quarter-second then reverts to the double-image. He suggested it may have something to do with the 'post-processing' of the image.

Because of other small problems, like sometimes having difficulty changing picture resolutions, the battery showing low power when it's not (the guy in the store alerted me to this one), I wonder if there are some bugs in the software/firmware (whatever it's called). I wonder if there is any way of reloading this firmware - anyone any ideas?

janco
03-06-2005, 06:58 AM
I have a Nikon 5700 coolpix. However, any setting I use above 100 I get a double image.
Snyderman

To me it looks like you have se tthe camera to Clear Image Mode. I that possible? I fell in the same trap some time ago : http://jancology.com/blog/archives/2003/09/03/coolpix_5700_clear_image_mode.html

D70FAN
03-06-2005, 07:38 AM
To me it looks like you have se tthe camera to Clear Image Mode. I that possible? I fell in the same trap some time ago : http://jancology.com/blog/archives/2003/09/03/coolpix_5700_clear_image_mode.html

Hi janco. Thanks for the input. The last entry on this thread was August 2004. Just fyi. ;)

sherlock
03-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Hey,

Yup, it looks like slow sync flash to me. I don't know if this is what is causing your problem though.

Andrew S.

gary_hendricks
03-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Snyderman,

I've looked at the images, I think your problem is due to a slow sync flash. Is there a setting on camera to take care of this?