PDA

View Full Version : classic pentax lenses

AnalogueToDigital
10-08-2006, 02:39 AM
i have a 50mm f1.4 pentax lens which I use with my *ist DS. I just love using it - so sharp, the manual focus is full of feel - it's just a delight to use.

My question to the old hands ... what other older pentax lenses are highly regarded for quality. maybe some suggestions for macro and telephoto?

thanks

CptOfGondor
10-08-2006, 01:45 PM
man, where do you all keep finding 50 1.4s LoL Everytime I see one on ebay it shoots past $100. -_-

A lot of the classic M lenses are pretty good. the 135-M can be had for pretty cheap and acts like a ~200mm f3.5 on our APS CCDs.

Should get the SMC-M 40mm pancake. Its kinda rare me thinks but I've heard aLOT about it.

Yea I was wondering about other lenses too. I read somewhere that the older Series One Vivitar 70-210mm constant aperture one touch zooms were really good. I can't remember the f numbers off the top of my head. maybe constant f2.8 or something. Back then Vivitar had like famous(lol..as in like pr0..lol) people to make their lenses and stuff, at one point, a NASA technician who did work on the Hubble Space Telescope. But that was like decades ago. now cosina makes the vivitar lenses and I heard the quality's gone way down.

(EDIT: about the macro, for cheap macro, get those reverse macro rings for like ~$10 or so on eBay. It lets you screw on your lenses backwards where provides a great amount of magnification. but make sure you get the right ones. like if you want to mount your 50mm 1.4, I'm guessing you'll need the 49mm one.)

mathetes
10-08-2006, 05:37 PM
i have a 50mm f1.4 pentax lens which I use with my *ist DS. I just love using it - so sharp, the manual focus is full of feel - it's just a delight to use.

My question to the old hands ... what other older pentax lenses are highly regarded for quality. maybe some suggestions for macro and telephoto?

thanks

I'm not an old hand on this board, but have had Pentax equipment for over 40 years. I started with the Asahi Pentax SV (it was Honeywell's H3V model here in the U.S.) Just last week finally went to Pentax digital SLR (K100D) and have been delighted with the ability to retain and use my old lenses.

One macro recommendation would be the SMC Pentax-M Macro, an f/4 100 mm focal length with macro abilities that are quite remarkable. And it doubles as a good portrait lens.

Over the weekend just concluded I shot a bunch of fall foliage shots using an SMC Pentax -M zoom, 80-200 mm, again with great results at various focal lengths on the K100D.

Some possibilities for you ...

CptOfGondor
10-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Is that the SMC PENTAX Bellows 100m f4?

mathetes
10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Is that the SMC PENTAX Bellows 100m f4?

No, it's this one, one that has tremendous extension purely on the basis of its internal mechanism, not a bellows.

AnalogueToDigital
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
No, it's this one, one that has tremendous extension purely on the basis of its internal mechanism, not a bellows.

oh that looks nice!:D can you post a pic to show off it's ability?

AnalogueToDigital
10-10-2006, 06:45 PM
man, where do you all keep finding 50 1.4s LoL Everytime I see one on ebay it shoots past $100. -_-

A lot of the classic M lenses are pretty good. the 135-M can be had for pretty cheap and acts like a ~200mm f3.5 on our APS CCDs.

(EDIT: about the macro, for cheap macro, get those reverse macro rings for like ~$10 or so on eBay. It lets you screw on your lenses backwards where provides a great amount of magnification. but make sure you get the right ones. like if you want to mount your 50mm 1.4, I'm guessing you'll need the 49mm one.)

maybe that was me that outbid you:) i think i paid about 130 aus dollars - but it's pristine.

thanks for the tip about the 135-M i'll look out for one - that's half the fun anyway.

yeah i must have a play with the macro rings. I've never tried macro but some of the images on the *ist DS sample thread are inspiring - and it opens up a whole new world of possibilites when the landscapes and architecture are less inspiring.

mathetes
10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
oh that looks nice!:D can you post a pic to show off it's ability?

Here are two I took on the first day with the Pentax K100D, more to test the camera than to demonstrate the lens, so they may not do all that you want. If I get some more in the days ahead, I'll add them.

mathetes

AnalogueToDigital
10-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Here are two I took on the first day with the Pentax K100D, more to test the camera than to demonstrate the lens, so they may not do all that you want. If I get some more in the days ahead, I'll add them.

mathetes

thanks mathetes - i like your second photo a lot!

mathetes
10-12-2006, 08:44 AM
We had a very nice rainfall last night, and this morning our garden (without any artificial aids) yielded the following shots using the manual macro Pentax 100 mm lens:

The first is the backside of a dahlia; second is a side-view of another blossom on the same plant; third is (I think this is correct; my wife is the expert on the plants, not I:) ) a cosmos.

mathetes
10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
...third is (I think this is correct; my wife is the expert on the plants, not I:) ) a cosmos.

well, my wife the expert tells me that it's a Cleome, not a Cosmos :o

...sigh...

mathetes
10-13-2006, 07:36 AM
These two I took during a walk in the woods yesterday afternoon. The first is primarily presented as an interesting demonstration of depth of field (or, more precisely, lack thereof). The second is a demonstration of serendipity: I had been concentrating on the red leaf against the green moss and was totally surprised by the blue of the sky, reflected in the water, when I brought the image up on my screen. This is also, though up fairly close, not truly macro ...

AnalogueToDigital
10-13-2006, 10:19 PM
We had a very nice rainfall last night, and this morning our garden (without any artificial aids) yielded the following shots using the manual macro Pentax 100 mm lens:

The first is the backside of a dahlia; second is a side-view of another blossom on the same plant; third is (I think this is correct; my wife is the expert on the plants, not I:) ) a cosmos.

very nice. your third image the "cosmos":o , looks like it has an interesting reflection in the waterdroplet, can you post a 100% crop? might give a better idea of the lens as well

mathetes
10-14-2006, 12:12 PM
very nice. your third image the "cosmos":o , looks like it has an interesting reflection in the waterdroplet, can you post a 100% crop? might give a better idea of the lens as well

Tell me if this is what you mean by a 100% crop ... not a term I'd heard before; in fact it sounds just a tad oxymoronic --- i.e., a crop is by definition LESS than 100%, no ???:cool:

Anyway, here's that droplet, and the inverted image is of a part of the side of our house, the branch of a plum tree, and the sky ....

AnalogueToDigital
10-15-2006, 06:08 AM
Tell me if this is what you mean by a 100% crop ... not a term I'd heard before; in fact it sounds just a tad oxymoronic --- i.e., a crop is by definition LESS than 100%, no ???:cool:

Anyway, here's that droplet, and the inverted image is of a part of the side of our house, the branch of a plum tree, and the sky ....

yes that's what i meant (a cropped section of the image, but not scaled down ie at 100%)- thanks for indulging me.

CptOfGondor
10-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Wow those are awesome photos!

I just got my 52mm reverse macro ring and it was a bad apple. Wouldn't turn and lock into the mount. So annoyed. You'd think something coming out of Japan would be better machined.