PDA

View Full Version : Canon S60/Olympus C-60

dedebe
07-22-2004, 09:08 PM
I am looking to buy a digital camera for my mother. She is more into the point & shoot and does not use manual controls. I am willing to spend around $400. I want at least 3 MP with good optical zoom.

So far in my search I have narrowed it down to either the Canon or the Olympus. I keep seeing that Canon can have a defect known as E18, in which Canon does not refund for this problem. This makes me concerned as my mother will use this camera for several years.

Do you believe these are good choices or do you recommend any other cameras? I know these cameras do more than what my mother uses right now, but she will use this camera for several years. So I am trying to buy one that she can grow into.

Thank you!
Denise

speaklightly
07-23-2004, 01:05 PM
07/23/2004

The Olympus C-60 did not receive a very good review from Jeff on this very site. And yes, the Canon is prone to the E18 defect in a small number of digital cameras.

Both of the digital cameras that you mention have fairly complex features and don't, in my mind, seem to fall into a very simple point and shoot category.

In the 3mp range take a look at Kodak's DX-6340 (around $200), In the 5mp range you might want to take a look at the HP R707 (around $300) or the Casio QR51 (around $300) which has 21 best shot modes making it very easy to use.

Sarah Joyce

dedebe
07-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Thank you for responding to my question. I will check out the cameras you have listed.

In my search today on this forum I saw someone else had listed the Sony CyberShot DSC-W1 as a good camera. I have liked the reviews on this camera so far. Has anyone used this camera or have any recommendations.

Denise

speaklightly
07-23-2004, 08:53 PM
07/23/2004

Hi Denise-

We also own a Sony W-1. Yes it does do a great job, but it is a bit complex. The digital photo quality of the Sony W-1 is very similar to the HP R707 which sells for about $70 less.

It does have a huge 2.5 inch LCD which is nice as compared to the HP R707's 1.5 inch LCD, but the Sony W-1 is less of a simple point and shoot digital camera than the HP R707. The W-1 as I said before is more complex.

Take a look at both of these digital cameras. Both are good digital cameras. It is just a matter of how complex you may want the perfect digital camera to be for your Mom.

Sarah Joyce