PDA

View Full Version : Megapixel settings

luckattack
10-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Hi,
This have been bugging me for a long time and I was hoping someone can asnwer my questions. I am currently using the Canon S2 5 megapixel camera. The setting is set on high which should be somewhere along the lines of 1944X2592. This means it should be 5 megapixels. However, how come my pictures are always around 1 megapixel? What is causing this? I mean, I have the maximum resolution setting set already, why is it taking pictures at lower resolution. I used to have a Kodak camera and it did the same thing. Why is that? Is there anyway to fix it? I want to blow up a picture about 16x20 but at 1megapixel, there is no way I can print that size. Any help would be appricated. I was planning to develop some pictures for my friend's wedding and am in a jam as there is no possible way of retaking the photos.
Thanks.

JLV
10-05-2006, 06:26 AM
How have you determined that the photo is only 1 megapixel? Is it from the exif?

I ask because I wonder if you are confusing megapixals with megabytes.

FLiPMaRC
10-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Check out this link: http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/205-e.html#09

Set your Resolution to L and your Compression to Superfine

I was planning to develop some pictures for my friend's wedding and am in a jam as there is no possible way of retaking the photos.
Thanks.Well, if you did take the shots in low resolution, then it's too late. You can't add resolution.

David Metsky
10-05-2006, 01:53 PM
File size does not equal megapixel size. The image is compressed when written out into JPG format. The Compression setting can be adjusted to preserve image quality at the cost of greater image size. What Compression level did you shoot in?

-dave-

Paul79UF
10-05-2006, 01:56 PM
I also agree that it sounds like you're confusing the file size in megabytes to the sensor quality of the camera which is measured in megapixels.