PDA

View Full Version : ideal settings for outdoor?

momojo
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Hello All,

I purchased a canon Powershot S2 few months back and have not used it to full potential. I have recently trying to ease by stress by developing interest in photography. I recently took few pics from by patio using the setting P and TV and was able to take some decent pics of golden gate bridge but when i tried max zoom on my lawn to capture the dew the photo comes blurred.

Can someone advice me the settings which i need in my S2 if i am going to a ZOO? and if i am going some place high altitude like twin peaks to take pictures of the city.

I have read lots of text online about aperture and all but i would like to set those in my camera and try it out so that i know the difference of different settings.

Appreciate all your responses.

JLV
10-03-2006, 04:51 PM
ut when i tried max zoom on my lawn to capture the dew the photo comes blurred.

Check your manual for the closest distance you can focus when using the max zoom of your lens.

version150
10-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Have a look at your macro settings re the dew. Also depress button halfway down to let camera 'lock' it's settings. Relax when you take shot too.

At zoo, consider subject and what's behind it. Compose your image. consider closeups of details (eyes for example). Experiment with flash in daylight, see what happens. Conversely, consider not using flash indoors, but instead look at manual settings and available light.

If your subject is low, get down to it. Be mobile!

At high altitude consider time of day and available light. Do the best to tell a story with you pic, something that gives a reference or index of height.

lastly, invest in another card(s) so that if one gets full or fails, you have a backup-golden rule for 'special occasions'.

:)

Pave
10-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Since you use digital camera, there is no better way to learn how to set your camera than by trying. You can take literally houndreds of pictures with different aperture and exposure settings and see for yourself what is best in each situation.