PDA

View Full Version : Taking photos of the sunset

krzkrzkrz
10-02-2006, 03:57 AM
Hello,

According to my Canon Rebel XTi 400D manual, it says that I SHOULD not aim the camera at the sun, otherwise I would risk damaging the aperture curtain in the camera.

Does this apply with sunsets, when the sun isn't as strong during midday?

Or you should not direct the camera towards the sun in any given scenario?

Regards,
Krz

Paul79UF
10-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I'd think that a setting sun would be much less intense than a high noon sun.

The manual mentions not to do it since the heat of the midday sun radiating down to that very thin curtain in your camera could warp or melt it.

I'm no expert, but I say go ahead with your sunset shot...just make it quick. ;)

ReF
10-06-2006, 02:16 AM
have had no problems with several sunset shots. like the above poster said, i'm pretty sure it only applies to intense sunlight

Pave
10-07-2006, 01:31 AM
I've personally taken lots of pictures with setting/rising sun and so far I've noticed no damage whatsoever. So I guess that neither sunset nor sunrise can harm your camera.
Moreover if you look at some photography server, quite a large amount of photos there are sunset/sunrise pictures. Should taking these pics harm camera in any way, I don't suppose there would be so many of them. :)
So, take pictures of whatever you like and whenever you like. Just don't keep the camera aimed at sun at noon with the shutter open for half an hour ;)

The Mangler
10-07-2006, 01:41 PM
The way I see it, if it doesn't hurt your eyes it won't hurt your camera. At sunrise and sunset the light from the sun is passing through much more of the Earth's atmosphere, it's like a natural filter.

erichlund
10-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Also, don't leave the camera on auto white balance. You'll wonder where that beautiful sunset photo went.

You want to set your white balance to something like normal daylight. That way, it will tell the camera to balance for cool daylight. As a result, those reds and other warm colors of the sunset will be preserved or even enhanced.