PDA

View Full Version : When is enough...enough??

Peleg
10-01-2006, 10:46 PM
I've been using Adobe Lightroom Beta 4 lately and for the most part really like it. I also have RSE and a trial version of Silkypix. I find that I'll "fix" some pics in Lightroom and am satisfied until I also fix them w/ RSE. Upon doing that I realize that this or that is out of kilter w/ my previous pics so I go back and try and fix that and on and on. When do you finally say "good enough"? Do you go for just wooden reality, no matter how bland or overblown or do you go for serious saturation, sharpening etc?

JTL
10-01-2006, 11:39 PM
I've been using Adobe Lightroom Beta 4 lately and for the most part really like it. I also have RSE and a trial version of Silkypix. I find that I'll "fix" some pics in Lightroom and am satisfied until I also fix them w/ RSE. Upon doing that I realize that this or that is out of kilter w/ my previous pics so I go back and try and fix that and on and on. When do you finally say "good enough"? Do you go for just wooden reality, no matter how bland or overblown or do you go for serious saturation, sharpening etc?Enough is enough whenever you think it's enough. You're the artist/photographer...you decide!

ReF
10-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Enough is enough whenever you think it's enough. You're the artist/photographer...you decide!

yep nicely said. no way around it. i will add that usually i think "less is more" - oversharpened or oversaturated stuff is usually pretty hard on the eyes. a certain somewhat well known guy on the internet has some over-saturated, ultra-colorful stuff that makes me want to throw up. just my opinion though

JTL
10-02-2006, 12:49 AM
I guess it really depends on whether someone has developed a a signature style...or has a vision of what they want the finished products to look like and what feelings they are trying to convey. I have a pretty good idea what, if anything, I am going to do to a capture in post processing when I snap the shutter. I'm always visualizing the finished product. The execution takes four things 1) The vision 2) The skill/ability to make a good capture 3) The skill/ability to use the post processing tools 4) A critical eye to separate the winners, the losers and the merely mediocre.

Peleg
10-02-2006, 06:18 PM
yep nicely said. no way around it. i will add that usually i think "less is more" - oversharpened or oversaturated stuff is usually pretty hard on the eyes. a certain somewhat well known guy on the internet has some over-saturated, ultra-colorful stuff that makes me want to throw up. just my opinion though

Yeah, I've learned the same thing. I used to reeeeally oversharpen things and apply gobs of saturation. I've backed way off. It's that when I think my pic looks good and then try another programI sometimes find that my first attempt, while it seemed good at the time, was lacking in some way or overblown in another. It's good to compare to make sure you're getting the best you can but I guess I get anal at times. Oh well, great responses from both of you. Thanks.