PDA

View Full Version : Image stabilization vs. fast shutter speed HC

seafood2002
07-22-2004, 08:29 PM
I have a tremor so blurred pictures are common when I try a digital camera. Some cameras have IS (vary few) and others have shutter priority. Will using shutter priority, set to high speed, make a noticable improvement over using the auto setting? How does IS work and who besides Canonj and Panasonic make. Would it be a noticable improvement over shutter priority? Shutter lag makes my tremor worse.
Clay

D70FAN
07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Panasonic, Canon, and now Minolta (Z3) have IS equiped long zooms. Nothing short of a tripod/monopod will help with tremor. I have this problem as well, and when it's at its worse an IS lens would be nice.

The The Canon S1 IS, Panasonic FZ1, and FZ10, all work great, and offer good picture quality as well. That's not to say that they are perfect, but they are as good as the rest and better because of Image Stabilization.

I really liked the Z2 from Minolta, but without IS it was difficult to use past 150mm or so (about 4x). I actually have the same problem with my D70, but have a nice Bogen monopod to help a great deal when I attach the 70-300.

So if you plan to buy a super zoom I recommend one with IS. For basically the same price and features it's a no-brainer. SLR zoom lenses have moved toward IS as well, so it's not just a passing fad.

bka314
07-25-2004, 06:59 AM
I own an S1 IS - I can tell that its IS really makes a difference. I personally did not use any of the Panasonic, but folks say those IS does great job as well. The Canon's IS helps to get sharp images for at least 4-5 times longer exposures than without stabilization (sometimes it can be even 10 or more but it depends).

The other important thing is not just to have shutter priority - almost every camera has it nowdays - but to have fast lens. The S1 has 2.8-3.1, while the Panasonics have 2.8 throughout the zoom range - these are all great.
(Btw: I am a bit unimpressed by the Minolta Z3, with its 2.8-4.5 lens).

With fast lens you have enaugh light to really set the shutter fast: eg. the Pana compared with the Minolta: with 2.8 vs. 4.5 you can be more than 2 and a half times faster (at full tele).

bye, Kris

lowkl
07-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Shutter priority is no substitute for IS. With IS you have the flexibility of using a faster or slower shutter speed, depending on the effect you'd like. Cutting camera shake is one thing; with a fast shutter speed you most likely have to have a large exposure setting -- this means a narrow depth of field.

Kris is of course correct that a fast lense is also a very good thing to have.