PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K100D not for sports/action??

Mathew J
10-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Just read the review of this camera and saw it was summed up with the notation that this wasn't a good sports/action camera...wondering if that was in fact the case as my other consideration is the Nikon D50 though I like the price and image stabilization feature of this camera...thanks

KAFman
10-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Pentax' digital system is not yet sports friendly. But I guess that Nikon D50 is not really better. If you looking for straight-out sports camera you should look further to Canon 30D or Nikon D200.

Mathew J
10-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks, just looking for something that is versitile and basic for our new daugher and the holliday season, basically an upgrade to my coolpix 775 that can take better or at least decent action shots as the 775 blows in this regard and also has good to decent macro capability. Thanks

KFrog
10-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Pentax' digital system is not yet sports friendly. But I guess that Nikon D50 is not really better. If you looking for straight-out sports camera you should look further to Canon 30D or Nikon D200.

What makes a "sports friendly" camera in you opinon? I'm just curious because I don't know. I do know that Canon makes the most popular sports cameras but I don't know why.

RichNY
10-01-2006, 10:02 AM
What makes a "sports friendly" camera in you opinon? I'm just curious because I don't know. I do know that Canon makes the most popular sports cameras but I don't know why.

To capture the motion of sports you need a quick shutter speed (otherwise your pictures will be blurry). There are two ways to get this... a faster lens (bigger aperature-lower f/stop numer) and/or higher ISO (sensitivity to light).

Because you asked about cameras, a "sports friendly" camera is one which allows you to set a high ISO with the minimal amount of noise. Canon's CMOS sensor for example excels in this area where other brands have ccd sensors that show a higher amount of noise at higher ISOs.

KAFman
10-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Pentax lacks wide range of large aperture telezooms and 5 frames/sec body.
The first problem will be partially solved in 2007.

cvicisso
10-01-2006, 12:37 PM
What makes a "sports friendly" camera in you opinon? While the high ISO and quick shutter are certainly important for sports shooting, I think that Jeff Keller was referring to the continuous shooting mode on the K100D when he said it wasn't 'sports friendly.' This is from his review:

"First up, the continuous shooting mode. I took some action shots recently with the K100D and the Nikon D80, and let me tell you, the Nikon won easily. The K100D's buffer filled up quickly, while the D80 just kept shooting. Here in the DCRP lab the K100D took just five "best" quality JPEGs and three RAW images before the burst rate slowed down. During those first few shots the camera was shooting at a respectable 2.6 frames/second -- too bad it doesn't last very long."

KFrog
10-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Because you asked about cameras, a "sports friendly" camera is one which allows you to set a high ISO with the minimal amount of noise. Canon's CMOS sensor for example excels in this area where other brands have ccd sensors that show a higher amount of noise at higher ISOs.

Does the Rebel Xti have a CMOS sensor or a ccd sensor?

KFrog
10-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Pentax lacks wide range of large aperture telezooms

From one or all of these new lenses?

DA*16-50 mm F2.8 ED AL [IF]
DA*50-135 mm F2.8 ED [IF]
DA*60-250 mm F4 ED [IF]

Colin T
10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi Mathew J

I used a Kyocera 4Mb 10x optical camera for a few weeks. It was a delightful camera to use especially for taking multiple frames in quick succession. I used to photograph my dogs running around the park and you could simply hold the button down and it would snap away continuously until the card was full or you took your finger off the button. It gave pretty good pics all round and was quite easy to use.

However, I did have a problem with the people building it. The first one I had overheated and had a dead pixel on the LCD screen. The second one had a wobbly lens when it came out of the box. No I didn't get a third one, two shonky cameras from the same company was my limit. A nice camera just poorly built.

I currently have a Pentax K100D and with the right lens it is a pretty good camera for action, but it needs light and lots of it. You also need a fast shutter speed and that limits your aperture and depth of field. Get a genuine Pentax lens with an aperture that opens right up be prepared to only take 4 shots in rapid succession. After that it is one ,,,,, and then one,,,,, and then one. It slows down a bit.

You do get an instant response tho when you press the button. (All digital SLRs give instant response times, you press the button and it takes the picture then and there). This does allow you to capture things when they actually happen. I set my camera on multi-frame mode and take 4 pics at a time. I usually get the action in one of them, the rest you can delete.

Check out as many different models as you can and try them in the shop.

KAFman
10-01-2006, 06:50 PM
From one or all of these new lenses?

DA*16-50 mm F2.8 ED AL [IF]
DA*50-135 mm F2.8 ED [IF]
DA*60-250 mm F4 ED [IF]

Yes. But they will be available in 2007.

KAFman
10-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Check out as many different models as you can and try them in the shop.

Wise advice.

CptOfGondor
10-01-2006, 07:22 PM
The large apertures aren't really a problem for Pentax. There are plenty of fast lens options from Pentax and third party manufacturers like Sigma.

The thing with Pentax is that its image buffer is small. Like 3-4 images MAX at 3fps. Canons and Nikon entry level dSLRs also have 3fps but they last for dozens of images. If you wanna go all out, check out the D2X from Nikon. That thing is so fast a 3 frame burst sounds like one. The closest sound sample I could find was in dpReview's Nikon D2H page.

Here's their recording of 8fps bursts from the Nikon D2H for 40 frames and the Canon 1D for 21 frames. Insane I swear they sound like submachine guns. LoL. (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/Samples/d2hx40-1dx21.mp3)

Spot focus
10-31-2006, 02:01 AM
Just read the review of this camera and saw it was summed up with the notation that this wasn't a good sports/action camera...wondering if that was in fact the case as my other consideration is the Nikon D50 though I like the price and image stabilization feature of this camera...thanks
Have a look at the K10 continuous shooting till card is full @ approx 3fps

jeisner
10-31-2006, 03:36 AM
The thing with Pentax is that its image buffer is small. Like 3-4 images MAX at 3fps. Canons and Nikon entry level dSLRs also have 3fps but they last for dozens of images.

With the K100d thats correct its buffer is really small... BUT that will all be fixed if you wait a month and get the K10d with 3fps but unlimited buffer... snap away until the entire SD card is full... And at least in Australia the body is about the same price as the Canon 400d and cheaper than the A100 or D80...