PDA

View Full Version : Is a Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 Apo good for concerts?

MistyR75
09-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I have a rebel (300d), and I was wondering if the Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 Apo Dg would work for low light conditions, such as concerts, or my daughter's dance recital.

I realize the aperture is only 4-5.6, but if the stage is fairy well lit, would it take decent pictures?

Thanks for your help.

Misty

abhi_morey
09-29-2006, 02:19 PM
I have a rebel (300d), and I was wondering if the Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 Apo Dg would work for low light conditions, such as concerts, or my daughter's dance recital.

I realize the aperture isn't very small, but if the stage is fairy well lit, would it take decent pictures?

Thanks for your help.

Misty

i think that sould be fine really .. bcuz i took a lot of pics of bryan adams at 200 and 400 ISO with f/4 and f/3.2 http://www.pbase.com/abhi_morey/12th_june_2006 ... so if u say that the stage is well it then it should be fine .. but you'll need to bump up the ISO a bit more due to the longer focal length to avoid camera shake .. gl !

cdifoto
09-29-2006, 02:38 PM
You'll need at least 1/400th shutter speeds to handhold a 300mm lens. Somehow I don't think you'd get that with a max aperture of f/5.6 even at ISO1600...which the 300D isn't exactly stellar at (not bad either though).

"Well lit" to the naked eye isn't always so "well lit" as far as the camera is concerned.

MistyR75
09-29-2006, 02:41 PM
So, even from a distance, it would be better to use my prime and crop, then?

Or do you have a recommendation for a good lens for this purpose at a decent price?

I have an opportunity to buy a Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 Apo Dg (barely used, great condition) for $130 shipped, so I think I'll get it anyway. My dd will probably be into sports before too long....will it be good for that?

Thanks!

cdifoto
09-29-2006, 02:47 PM

Or do you have a recommendation for a good lens for this purpose at a decent price?

I have an opportunity to buy a Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 Apo Dg (barely used, great condition) for $130 shipped, so I think I'll get it anyway. My dd will probably be into sports before too long....will it be good for that?

Thanks!

The Sigma would be ok if you have a lot of light. Daytime sports, etc. When it comes to lowlight and from any kind of distance (sports, concerts, etc) you're talking mega bucks for the proper equipment.

abhi_morey
09-29-2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks!

if you are not going to be making big prints then yes your 50mm f/1.8 would be the best bet

DonSchap
09-29-2006, 05:54 PM
There is a lens that kind of meets you half way... it's not cheap, but it's telephoto low light delivery is exceptional and it won't weigh you down. It is a prime lens (no zoom capability)... so you are stuck with your focal length... meaning you'll having to jockey yourself back and forth to properly frame your subject with it. (In other words... "aisle seat").

The Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM. It doesn't sport IS... and it can be gotten for about $640 at B&H.

EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM (27.2 oz)

Some say, "if you are going that far... spend the extra $500 and get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM". Being able to soar back and forth, between 70mm and 200mm really saves on shoe-leather and framing is much nicer (not necessarily the "aisle seat").

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (46 oz)

Personally... I bought into the idea... you might as well have Image Stability, too... and love your lens if you are going 200mm, low light aperture (f/2.8) and slow shutter speeds (sub 1/60th). The price... at least $1700. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (52 oz)

Admittedly, another $560 is a lot of dough for an IS switch, but it is the premiere lens for Canon. Truly a capable workhouse and I'm glad I have it. Accurate focal lengths, true color and sharp. I mean, how can you go wrong? Unless you tell your wife how much you spent on this "piece of glass". :eek:

Remember: on an XT, XTi, 20D or 30D camera body... 200mm is effectively the same as 320mm with a regular 35mm film camera. More zoom with no cost in aperture. ;) And if you absolutely have to get closer and can afford to lose half the light (1 f-stop), you could throw on a EF 1.4x extender. The lens focal length goes to 280mm (effectively 448mm on an APS-C dSLR). That's pretty good punch, where f/2.8 simply goes to f/4.

"Take me to where the bright lights shine!"

cdifoto
09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Don,

The 200mm f/2.8L is well under a grand. It's currently $659.95 at B&H.

Depending on the size of the concert and your location, you can probably do better with the Canon 85mm f/1.8 for about $340 or the 100mm f/2 for about $400.

DonSchap
09-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Don,

The 200mm f/2.8L is well under a grand. It's currently $659.95 at B&H.

Depending on the size of the concert and your location, you can probably do better with the Canon 85mm f/1.8 for about $340 or the 100mm f/2 for about $400.

I've made the correction... sorry about the misposted pricing.
:cool:

I sensed that if he couldn't move around alot... perhaps the extra focal length would do the trick. His resolution would be better, in the shots... than having to crop and blow it up. Wouldn't "Ed Greene" have a stroke if he knew?

Obviously, if you are at a concert... you are not taking portraits. You need some reach.. and perhaps a lot of it. 85mm... just doesn't seem to do it... go to this site and check out some active focal range comparisons:

Choosing the right lens (http://www.tamroneurope.com/flc.htm)

You can even check out how the lens would work on your 35mm or your digital. It's a cool tool :cool:

cdifoto
09-29-2006, 06:48 PM
I've made the correction... sorry about the misposted pricing.
:cool:

I sensed that if he couldn't move around alot... perhaps the extra focal length would do the trick. His resolution would be better, in the shots... than having to crop and blow it up. Wouldn't "Ed Greene" have a stroke if he knew?

Obviously, if you are at a concert... you are not taking portraits. You need some reach.. and perhaps a lot of it. 85mm... just doesn't seem to do it... go to this site and check out some active focal range comparisons:

Choosing the right lens (http://www.tamroneurope.com/flc.htm)

You can even check out how the lens would work on your 35mm or your digital. It's a cool tool :cool:

It always depends on the distance to stage. You can't say that an 85 would definitely be too short. It could be too long for all you know.

DonSchap
09-29-2006, 06:51 PM
It always depends on the distance to stage. You can't say that an 85 would definitely be too short. It could be too long for all you know.

Okay... perhaps you're right.. an S3 IS might just be the correct camera for a concert setting. ;)

How's that for a left turn and for only $350? I know "JTL" would do a double-take

cdifoto
09-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Okay... perhaps you're right.. an S3 IS might just be the correct camera for a concert setting. ;)

How's that for a left turn and for only $350? I know "JTL" would do a double-take

Yeah screwit get an S3. :eek: :D

Rhys
09-29-2006, 07:04 PM

I realize the aperture is only 4-5.6, but if the stage is fairy well lit, would it take decent pictures?

Thanks for your help.

Misty

You'll have to max the ISO and you'll find you'll most likely need to focus manually. Personally, I'd go for the Canon 70-300 f4L.

cdifoto
09-29-2006, 07:20 PM
You'll have to max the ISO and you'll find you'll most likely need to focus manually. Personally, I'd go for the Canon 70-300 f4L.

Oh yeah? I'd like to know when that's gonna be released. :eek: :D

aparmley
09-30-2006, 12:06 AM
To the Original Poster (OP):

To answer your question. No. It does not have enough light gathering power to be of good use in lower light - Concert lighting tends to be on the low end even when its "Well light" with regards to concerts. Secondly, it hunts in low light low contrast situations.

Am I correct in assuming that you're looking at the Sigma because of its price? I know thats why I bought it.

I'd keep your money in your pocket on this one. . .

shoey
10-02-2006, 09:41 AM

I'll have one of those too please:D