PDA

View Full Version : K10D a D200 clone??

Peleg
09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
NOT trying to start a flame war just thought I'd post a thought. If you think about it, the K10D body is essentially the same as a Nikon D200. Virtually same sensor, both have weather sealed bodies, very similar in size, both take pictures :D . The D200 is faster w/ different ergonomics and software but it's basically the same camera only the Pentax is muuuch cheaper.

WightWalker
09-28-2006, 02:52 PM
NOT trying to start a flame war just thought I'd post a thought. If you think about it, the K10D body is essentially the same as a Nikon D200. Virtually same sensor, both have weather sealed bodies, very similar in size, both take pictures :D . The D200 is faster w/ different ergonomics and software but it's basically the same camera only the Pentax is muuuch cheaper.

Sounds like a good reason to buy one - I'm not one for wasting money!

jeisner
09-28-2006, 02:56 PM
They both have a sony sensor in them as both Pentax and Nikon get their sensors from sony, thats the same as almost every model in the past from both companies.. And Sony/KM too...

Apart from that they are pretty different cameras IMO other than both having weather sealing.. but so what, well actually they both have viewfinders, they both have rear LCDs, they both have flash hotshoes, they both have lens mounts, maybe it is a clone! ;-)

cvicisso
09-28-2006, 06:07 PM
If you think about it, the K10D body is essentially the same as a Nikon D200.Ummm... what about the image stabilization (sorry - 'Shake Reduction' on the Pentax)? That's the biggest difference that I see, and one of the best reasons for getting a K10D. Not that I'm an expert or even have a K10D... still learning... and shopping! :D

Also, what about dust reduction/removal? Does the D200 have that?

With regard to the sensor being the same as the Nikon... I'm not so sure about that. While they are both made by Sony, here's what the dpreview K10D preview (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/) had to say about the K10D CCD:

"Interestingly this CCD has slightly different specifications than the Sony unit used in a few other ten megapixel digital SLR's so we can't be sure of its origins. It's 23.5 x 15.7 mm with 10.75 million total pixels, 2-channel read-out."

Here are the specs from the D200 CCD (also from dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/page2.asp)):

23.6 x 15.8 mm CCD sensor
DX format
RGB Color Filter Array
Built-in fixed low-pass filter
10.92 million total pixels
10.2 million effective pixels
3:2 aspect ratio

Actually, I don't see very many similarities at all... other than what jeisner already noted ;) :

other than both having weather sealing.. but so what, well actually they both have viewfinders, they both have rear LCDs, they both have flash hotshoes, they both have lens mounts

Hey - they're both black too! ;) :D

cvicisso
09-28-2006, 07:31 PM
If you think about it, the K10D body is essentially the same as a Nikon D200.Another difference, also from dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/page2.asp):

"The only 'pro feature' the K10D appears to be lacking is a magnesium body (compared to the Canon EOS 30D and Nikon D200)..."

It sounds to me like the bodies are different in just about every way possible.

KFrog
09-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Ummm... what about the image stabilization (sorry - 'Shake Reduction' on the Pentax)? That's the biggest difference that I see, and one of the best reasons for getting a K10D. Not that I'm an expert or even have a K10D... still learning... and shopping! :D

Also, what about dust reduction/removal? Does the D200 have that?

Those are the most significant differences IMHO. That and of course the price ;) $1700 for the D200, $920 for the K10D (body only from B&H).

jeisner
09-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Pentax are claiming the sensor is slightly different than the A100 and D200 with better noise performance than both.. I hope so ;-)

Peleg
09-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Another difference, also from dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/page2.asp):

"The only 'pro feature' the K10D appears to be lacking is a magnesium body (compared to the Canon EOS 30D and Nikon D200)..."

It sounds to me like the bodies are different in just about every way possible.

...you're getting way too anal here. Bottom line, ya got two 10mp weather sealed prosumer cameras wherein one (K10D) has even more to offer and at almost half the price. This was meant to be a compliment to Pentax and a kick in the pants to Nikon...good naturedly. Wasn't meant to be a rundown on the minute differences between the cameras. Can't wait to get my greedy hands on the K10D!!

cvicisso
09-29-2006, 05:53 AM
Bottom line, ya got two 10mp weather sealed prosumer cameras wherein one (K10D) has even more to offer and at almost half the price. True, true...
This was meant to be a compliment to Pentax and a kick in the pants to Nikon...good naturedly.I completely agree with you - the Pentax looks like an amazing bargain when compared to the competition, and it is near the top of my 'short list' of candidates for when I finally get the guts to actually buy one instead of just dreaming and analyzing specs. The big selling points for me are (like you): price, image stabilization, dust removal and weather sealing. 10MP is also nice... but I could live without it... if I have to. :D
Wasn't meant to be a rundown on the minute differences between the cameras. Ok - fair enough. But surely you knew this was coming when you start out your thread with a line like this:
If you think about it, the K10D body is essentially the same as a Nikon D200. I mean c'mon! You were just asking for it. :p Anyway - I still consider this all 'good natured' (wow - some of the other forums on the site get a bit carried away) and I learned a bit by participating in the thread. So - thanks for sparking the conversation, Peleg! :D
Can't wait to get my greedy hands on the K10D!!Me too!... maybe. :rolleyes: I just have to decide if it's the right one for me first... and (as you can see) I tend to overanalyze things a bit! :rolleyes: Right now I'm juggling the decision between an uber-high-end 'bridge' P&S (like the Panasonic FZ-50 or the Fuji S-9100), the Pentax K10D, and a 4/3 camera (like the Olympus E-1 or Evolt E-500). Every one is a compromise in some regard (yes - some more than others)...

Oh well. That's the topic of another thread (or two). :o

CptOfGondor
09-29-2006, 10:08 AM
I'd say the K10D resembles something else. (You can see alot of the K10D comes from the *ist dSLRs.) If you want a real D200 clone, look at the bottom. LoL The FujiFilm S5.

http://www.freewebtown.com/cptofgondor/LoL.jpg

(Photo credits - Dpreview, DcResource)