PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Need with the FZ10???

scott
07-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Hello,
I posted a few days back concerning my decision for a digital camera. I have decided to buy the FZ10. I have a total of $625 to spend. I'm going to order the FZ10 from NewEgg.com for $499 with free shipping. So, this leaves $125 for accessories. I am going to buy a larger memory card, of course. Any recommendations on memory card brand or where to order them? Is there a particular case that works well with the FZ10? What filters do you recommend for the FZ10? Are there any other essential things that I have forgotten? Please give me the ideal setup for the FZ10. I want to get the basics while I have the money. Thanks!

Scott

John_Reed
07-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Hello,
I posted a few days back concerning my decision for a digital camera. I have decided to buy the FZ10. I have a total of $625 to spend. I'm going to order the FZ10 from NewEgg.com for $499 with free shipping. So, this leaves $125 for accessories. I am going to buy a larger memory card, of course. Any recommendations on memory card brand or where to order them? Is there a particular case that works well with the FZ10? What filters do you recommend for the FZ10? Are there any other essential things that I have forgotten? Please give me the ideal setup for the FZ10. I want to get the basics while I have the money. Thanks!
Scott
I'd recommend at least a 256MB SD card; you can store ~200 photos or so on one before filling it up. Any SD brand will work, but the faster cards will let you take "Burst" sequences without too much pause between bursts. I use a Panasonic 256MB in mine, and there are also SanDisk high-speed cards, though I heard better luck with the Panasonic. Amazon has them for $79.99 at the moment, so now you're up to $578. With the money that's left, I'd buy a spare battery from Battery Barn (http://www.batterybarn.com/cgas002.htm), a higher-than-stock mAh battery at 800mAh. They offer it at $37.99 including shipping & handling. One extra expense you'll face eventually is filters; the FZ10 lens hood has 72mm filter threads you can use, but 72mm filters are large and expensive, unless you have some lying around. There's an adapter made by Pemaraal (look it up on the Web) that'll screw onto the FZ10 lens barrel, and take you down to 62mm, much more friendly size. But you don't need that right away. Just be paranoid about your lens like I am, and you won't need any filters, to begin with! If you want to go further on the "ideal" setup, you can start spending outside your current budget on telephoto extenders, of which there are several to choose from. I personally use an Olympus TCON-17, which has a 55mm filter thread, and with step-down ring, screws into my Pemaraal PD62 adapter. The TCON-17 is ~$90 these days, on-line. I've had good results with mine. But get the SD card and spare battery for starters, use the camera for awhile, and start saving your pennies to fill out the kit.

Cailean
07-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I bought a 256MB card with my FZ10 and get just over 140 "fine" quality pics. I almost went for the 512MB but couldn't justify the extra expense... I will probably just buy another 256MB when the prices come down a bit.

The battery that comes with the camera is sufficient for a day of shooting but I find if I'm messing around alot with settings and reviewing pics that a backup would be helpful. Again, the price is prohibitive at this point but a spare battery is at the top of my 'to-buy' list. A 72mm MC filter is number two on the list to add further protection to that beautiful lens. I almost always have the lens hood on for protection now, and it is sufficient for the time being.

Hope this helps.

BTW, you might want to hold off for a month or two and consider the FZ15 or FZ20.