PDA

View Full Version : Photography courses???

emily21
09-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi!
I've been looking around for a course to take so I can improve my "eye" since I don't find that I'm maximizing my camera. I've fiddled with the functions, but they don't turn out spectacular (unless by fluke). I'm in Northern Ontario and I haven't found anything yet. Anyone know of courses offered?
Emily

JLV
09-28-2006, 07:16 AM
You might find the following helpful:

There is a free photo course on the web. If you do not want to enroll, you can just read the lessons. I read a few of the lessons. They are as good or better than some books.

The URL follows:
http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php

good luck and enjoy.

version150
10-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi Emily

I've posted a new thread here as I teach a course (in UK) and could perhaps help in a sort of abstract way.

What sort of things do you like to shoot? Indoors or outdoors? make the functions on your camera fit the subject (not the other way round) but definitely experiment with shooting the same thing using different settings (eg colour settings depending if there's indoor or outdoor lighting present as they will have their own characteristic... you may find that things are too rosy or too blue and this maybe why).

I like to consider
- what the image looks like in my head before the shot
- what it looks like through LCD/viewfinder (an interesting point as both slightly differ)
- how the final result matches up with previous two... printed or viewed on PC for example.

Also look at different flash settings and whether it's totally necessary to use flash.

Consider halfway depressing the shutter release button too before taking the pic: you will enable the camera to 'lock' the settings and do it's computations. Sometimes when the button is fully depressed all at once blurring (for one thing) may result. It may also help you to relax as it is a more measured way to take a pic.

As it's digital there's a strong argument to say just shoot and shoot, delete the bad ones. I like to set myself a task as well... a photo diary/storyboard for example. Best way to learn if there's a goal at the end.

Paul79UF
10-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Check with the universities and colleges in your area, they always have adult education classes on a variety of subjects from languages to hobbys.