PDA

View Full Version : disabling the pop-up flash on a 5700?

steakdaddy
11-21-2004, 12:49 AM
I am playing around with doing some studio photography so I picked up some reasonably priced equipment to try it out.

Here is my problem. The flash strobe came with a hotshoe sync thing that fires off the strobe when I shoot the camera, this works fine except the built in flash on the camera is going off as well. Is there anyway the camera can fire the hotshoe trigger and not the built in camera flash?

Second, can anyone point me to a good resource on how to use a light meter, or if even need one?

Thanks.

D70FAN
11-22-2004, 06:33 AM
I am playing around with doing some studio photography so I picked up some reasonably priced equipment to try it out.

Here is my problem. The flash strobe came with a hotshoe sync thing that fires off the strobe when I shoot the camera, this works fine except the built in flash on the camera is going off as well. Is there anyway the camera can fire the hotshoe trigger and not the built in camera flash?

Second, can anyone point me to a good resource on how to use a light meter, or if even need one?

Thanks.

Somewhere in the menu there should be a way to disable the built-in flash and go strictly with external speed light. My 990 had this feature and the menu/functions for the 5700 is similar. If you read the camera review on this site it will show the location of this menu.

This will work assuming that the external flash is not triggered by the cameras intenal flash (optical trigger). i.e. the flash is triggered by the hot-shoe.

Light meters are not rocket science, and a good source for information would be a local (professional) camera store. If you "google" photo light meter (or something to that effect) you will probably find a bunch of info on light meters.

For the record: The 5700 is not a dSLR, and you will get quicker answers using the regular Nikon board. :)

Have fun...