PDA

View Full Version : Other lens brands for D70; how to tell grey market items?

Ace Rimmer
11-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Lately, I have been seriously considering entering the digital SLR world and leaving the 35mm SLR's behind. After researching and handling a few different cameras, I have possibly narrowed my choice down to the Nikon D70; however, I have a few questions regarding these:

- Are other lenses - like Sigmas - compatible with the D70? I have seen some good prices on eBay for D70's, but they include a couple of Sigma lenses rather than the standard 18-70 Nikon lenses. Are there any certain non-Nikon lenses that seem to work just as well on the D70?

- How can you tell whether a seller on eBay, or other discount e-shops, are selling grey market D70's?

Thanks

D70FAN
11-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Lately, I have been seriously considering entering the digital SLR world and leaving the 35mm SLR's behind. After researching and handling a few different cameras, I have possibly narrowed my choice down to the Nikon D70; however, I have a few questions regarding these:

- Are other lenses - like Sigmas - compatible with the D70? I have seen some good prices on eBay for D70's, but they include a couple of Sigma lenses rather than the standard 18-70 Nikon lenses. Are there any certain non-Nikon lenses that seem to work just as well on the D70?

- How can you tell whether a seller on eBay, or other discount e-shops, are selling grey market D70's?

Thanks

The D70 is a standard Nikon mount, just like film SLR's. This is true for any of the dSLR's. So you can use any Nikon mount lens made in the past 10-15 years withuot a problem. You can use older lenses, but they may lack the AF (auto focus) and other intelligent functions.

I started with the kit lens and after a few "after-market tries" am now using the Sigma 18-125 DC. Keep in mind that the crop factor for dSLR's (in general) is 1.5X so the Sigma 18mm-125mm is now a 27mm to 187.5mm. The Nikkor 18mm-70mm "kit" lens works very well but I needed a little more reach for my everyday lens, and the Sigma goes for about $250-$300.

Not all Sigma lenses are as good as the 18-125DC, so my advice is to buy the body and lens separately, or start with the Nikkor kit lens. Additionally, if you are not familiar with digital cameras, you may want to re-consider buying a dSLR from e-bay.

I bought mine from Norman Camera up in Michigan, but I strongly recommend buying the camera locally at a camera store for the extra support. Be sure that someone in the store is familiar with dSLR's. These are not point-n-shoot cameras even though there is an auto setting, so it will take a little re-education to get the hang of it. But it is definaately worth the investment of time and money.