PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K100D sucks

Colin T
09-20-2006, 02:56 PM
I found the Pentax K100D to be a overpriced paperweight. A good quality paperweight but a paperweight none the less. It weighs over half a kilogram without a lens or batteries. This doesn't sound like much but when you are walking around all day lifting the camera up and down snapping away it takes a toll on your arms. Good if you want to do some body building.

Secondly it doesn't upload at USB2 speed to any of the computers I have tried it on. I have tried to upload pictures to 4 computers, 3 of which are less than 1 year old and definitely have USB2 ports, and it takes about 20 minutes to upload a 512MB memory card. The 4th computer is about 4yrs old and actually uploads a 512MB card in about 10 minutes and it only has USB ports. The computers have been tested with Windows XP Home & Professional and it makes no difference.

Third, virtually all Pentax lenses fit the body but each lens will require you to learn a different set of settings to use with that particular lens. I have 3 different lenses (28-80mm zoom) and each lens has to use completely different settings to get the same quality picture from the same subject. The 3 lenses are aged 15, 5 and <1 year old. Also when the flash is ON the shutter speed changed with each different lens. eg: the 15yo lens, the camera is on AV (aperture priority)F4 and the flash set to manual ON, the shutter speed is 1/180 sec.
If I put the new lens on, everything else is the same except the shutter speed drops to 1/60 sec. This slower shutter speed then adds to blurry pics even with the "image stabiliser" ON.

The older lenses do work but I have to use a much high aperture number to get the same results when taking macro pictures.
ie: film camera used an F4-F6, 1/100 sec with a flash and pics would be good for most macro work.
K100D with the same lens and I have to use F10-F20, the camera defaults to 1/180 sec with the flash and I get the same results.

In anything that isn't full sunlight the oldest lens causes the pictures to come out like I have been using a soft focus filter. I have had the lens cleaned and overhauled and it is apparently fine. Yet it makes people and animals look slightly fuzzy. Great for glamour shots of women but useless for anything else.

The White Balance is useless in manual mode. When it is set on Cloudy the grass looks yellow instead of green. Set it on Daylight and brown leaves become grey. The fluorescent light settings are of no use unless you know what Kelvin rating the globes actually are and also how old the globes are. If you get the white to look white, then the colour of everything else looks wrong. I leave the White Balance on auto and it gives pretty good results unless you are in full sun trying to photograph yellow or white objects. Then I contemplate cutting my wrists and jumping in the river.

Finally the pictures look great on the LCD screen, however when you get them onto a computer and see them in real size you quickly realise how crap they are. You then have to go and retake the pictures that didn't work. Ignore what you see in the LCD screen when checking your pics, they may look good on it but wait until you see them full size.

The camera's menu is nice and easy to use but there is no consistency with the pictures it produces when using different lenses. As far as I am concerned I can't wait for it to be stolen so I can use the insurance money to buy something else.

jeisner
09-20-2006, 10:53 PM
To be honest I have none of the problems you have mentioned? can't say whether it is camera or user error based on your rant though...

As to the weight, sell the 500gm (ex battery) K100d and buy the 490gm (ex battery) Canon 350d or the Nikon D50 at only 650gm (inc battery).. All three are about the same weight with batteries... So maybe a P&S would be better????

Spot focus
09-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Quote "Regarding Megapixels in real use. I use 4meg for most things that fill up the frame, however if it is a small object or something I really like and want to enlarge then I use 6megapixel. 4 meg with a very good pic can be blown up to poster size but normally 4 meg is used for A4 size and 6 meg is used for poster size (A3 I think). Use 6 meg and then you can crop the image down if needed.

Colin you seemed happy enough in this post??

Re USB2 speed: what speed card are you using?

Colin T
09-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Spot Focus

I was trying to put on a happy face for the person wanting to get a digital SLR.

It has taken me over a month to work out how to use the camera with the old lens and as soon as I tried a newer lens everything I learnt from the old lens had to be forgotten. The new and old lenses behave differently on the camera.

When the pictures work they work well but there is just no consistency and that is what is annoying me. Even if it was consistently wrong I could use that as a starting point but when 1 photo works and the next doesn't and they are of the same thing, it drives me up the wall.

When I first got a SLR camera back in the early 90s it took me about a week and 6 rolls of film to work it out and get consistently good shots. I have taken over 5000 pics with the K100D and have dumped about half of them. Now I am not the best photographer in the world but surely after using a camera every day for a month and trying numerous different settings and taking heaps of pics, there should be some improvement in the results.

re: USB@ speeds and memory cards. I am using Sandisk cards that came with the camera. The camera uploads perfectly at Pentax's office in Perth but I can't get it to upload quickly on my home pcs or on friend's computers. Pentax is looking into it because they have know idea.

David Metsky
09-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Get a $10 USB 2.0 card reader and eliminate the camera from the upload. It'll most likely work faster and cleaner. No, you should not have to use that but it will solve your problem.

-dave-

Rhys
09-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Regarding weight...

My two Nikon FMs both with MD12s, 28, 35, 50, 85, 135, 200, 300 lenses plus filters plus Metz 45-CT1 plus spare batteries all weighed in at around 30Lbs. I used to carry that on one shoulder day in, day out. I used to balance myself with a tripod on the other shoulder.

Now I use a Canon XT with Tamron 17-35, 28-75, 70-300 and 420EX. Generally I cut down on the weight by not carrying the 70-300 as I use it so rarely.

Now... Is your Pentax still too heavy?

Reps
09-22-2006, 11:35 AM
I do not like some attacks without cause :mad:
You state the download times: please be polite and do some calculations- my nobrand 2GB card shows download from Pentax K100D as 5.7 MB/s- so Your 512MB (maybe fake) card should download in 90 secs- and so it must be because all people who use 1GB+ cards never rely on cam-to-USB ('cause my external reader goes as high as 20+MB/s...)
Regarding of use older lenses- what the hell did You expect- You get what You pay (keywords are smc and DG...)
And BTW I do not earn money with my cams and shot only 3000+ ones from August the 1st- and already dumped my C/n/n dreams- got rid of 350D and lenses and preordered K10D- and please guess why? Answer is (I know it bothers You...) consistency- I never lost a shot due to camera error, all disposed ones were operator errors :rolleyes:
And BTW: SR is incredible if understood: compare the opportunities for IS/VR lense and '50ies good prime :confused:

Best and happy discovering, JR

CptOfGondor
09-22-2006, 04:04 PM
I have taken over 5000 pics with the K100D and have dumped about half of them. Now I am not the best photographer in the world but surely after using a camera every day for a month and trying numerous different settings and taking heaps of pics, there should be some improvement in the results.

Holy crap 5000!?. calm down Rambo. LoL. Thats crazy 5000 shots. I got my Samsung GX-1L(Pentax DL2) a week ago and I've only done about 150ish I think. (over half as a photographer at school) Anyways, before that I've shot about 7-8 rolls on a manual film slr. I didn't find the transition to be that stark although the softness did take me by surprise at first. Through the menu, I set Sharpness to +2 and stuff looks more natural. The only thing that annoys me is that when you use K mount lenses, the camera just assumes a wide open lens no matter the f-stop you choose.

What film camera did you use? Most of the modes translate over quite well. Like I had a Pentax MZ-M film camera (basically a more modern K1000) and the (Av) is all I use now.

Yea Colin, just take your time. Don't just run around blazing away. I find that choosing manual focus over AF really makes you slow down and take things into perspective. You're photos will improve!

Riley
09-22-2006, 08:59 PM
could this be a case of
older lens for full frame 35mm allowing light to hit the less than full frame sensor at angles < 90 degrees.

Riley

jeisner
09-23-2006, 03:42 AM
could this be a case of
older lens for full frame 35mm allowing light to hit the less than full frame sensor at angles < 90 degrees.

Riley

My old manual Pentax M135/3.5, M200/4 and A50/1.7 all take great photos.. and are very consistant..

Riley
09-23-2006, 03:50 AM
My old manual Pentax M135/3.5, M200/4 and A50/1.7 all take great photos.. and are very consistant..

yeah this guy seems totally wrapped
perhaps the sensor is missaligned

Riley

Colin T
09-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi CptOfGondor

The film SLR I used to use was a Pentax P30N. It was a nice camera and had pretty much the same stuff as the K100D except it was film and not digital. ie: it had aperture priority, shutter priority, auto mode, flash mode, bulb setting, etc. I primarily used the camera on aperture priority because that way I could set the depth of field and the camera would take care of the shutter speed. If a flash was needed I use a "Sunpak Thyristor 266D auto dedicated series" flash. Basically a full auto or full manual flash. You can set whatever you want on it and the computer does the rest. ie: set the film speed and aperture and the flash works out the amount of light to put out.

I have set the sharpness setting to maximum on the K100D but it still gives poor pics of people when taken in average to low light. Even in good light the pics don't look sharp.

Re: running around blazing away. I have taken so many pics because I am trying to work out the camera. Pentax should run a course for buyers of the new digital SLRs. That way we could go in and say this isn't working, why not? As it is I have taken it into Pentax in Perth, (CR Kennedy is the Australian dealer of Pentax) and they are baffled. Their techo boys in the east are investigating the problem. I generally use manual focus because I get to focus on what I want, not what the camera thinks I want.

Colin T
09-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Reps

re: Sorry to say that!

It takes about 20 minutes to upload the pics from either of my 512MB memory cards when the camera is connected to my pc. The pc is just over 1 yr old and is a 3GHz P4 with 1GHz of RAM, a couple of huge H/Ds, etc. This pc has USB2 ports and when the camera is connected to it I receive a message saying "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed USB2.0 port. For a list of available ports, click here" I click here and up comes a list of USB2 Enhanced ports. It doesn't make any diff which port I connect it to, it still takes a long time to upload.

My other pc is a 4 yr old 1.8GHz P4 with USB ports and it takes about 10 minutes to upload my 512MB memory cards to this pc. It is quicker on the old pc.

I have even tried it on a friend's home and work computer and I get the same results except that his work laptop uploads the cards in about 10 minutes and it is a $3500 4 month old 2.8GHz dual core P4 designed for rapid data transfer. He wet himself laughing when the message came up saying he should connect it to USB2 ports. It only has USB2 ports.

I tried uploading the pics at Pentax in Perth. It took about 2 minutes to empty the 512MB memory card. The pc was about 6 months old and ran the same software my pcs have.

re: the use of old lenses-what the hell did I expect.
I expected my old genuine Pentax lenses to fit and work because Pentax designed the K100D to do exactly that. The lens may be 15yrs old but it is a genuine bonafide' Pentax lens and according to Pentax it will fit and it will work. The only problem I would face was it would not have auto focus which I really don't care about anyway. Now I got a quote to replace the old lens with a new Pentax lens and I don't have $2500 to buy the new one. And why the hell should I? Pentax states that all K-mount lenses will fit and work on the K100D and it is a big part in their sales pitch and the reason they built the camera. So people with old film based Pentax SLRs could transfer their old lenses onto their new digital camera body and not have to fork out thousands of dollars to buy a whole new set of lenses to use. It is called false advertising.

further with false advertising. Panasonic had a similar problem when they stated "Capture the moment with the new Panasonic Lumix camera" I tried a Lumix and found it to have a slight time delay (about 1/2 second) between pressing the button and when the actual pic was taken. Panasonic said that is how it is so I sicked consumer affairs onto them for false and misleading advertising. Capture the moment means capture the monent now, not half a second later.

I cannot comment on smc and DG because I don't know what that means. Not sure about the last sentence either IS/VR lense and 50ies.

jeisner
09-24-2006, 11:16 PM
So people with old film based Pentax SLRs could transfer their old lenses onto their new digital camera body and not have to fork out thousands of dollars to buy a whole new set of lenses to use. It is called false advertising.

If everyone had the same problem then I would agree.. But go over to Dpreview there are hundreds of Pentax users posting there, and NONE of them have the problems you describe... so how is that false advertising on Pentax's part??? Your complaint is the first I have heard like it in the last few years I have been using Pentax DSLRs...

Ask here too if your like: www.pentaxforums.com - many people there also use old lenses without issue, maybe someone can help you in that regard...

further with false advertising. Panasonic had a similar problem when they stated "Capture the moment with the new Panasonic Lumix camera" I tried a Lumix and found it to have a slight time delay (about 1/2 second) between pressing the button and when the actual pic was taken. Panasonic said that is how it is so I sicked consumer affairs onto them for false and misleading advertising. Capture the moment means capture the monent now, not half a second later.

And how far did that get you?

I cannot comment on smc and DG because I don't know what that means.

SMC is pentax's "super multi coating" on the lenses that reduces flare and ghosting..

DG is Sigma's designation for lenses that have the REAR element coated. This reduces reflections inside the body between the sensor and the lens..

rjromero10
09-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Holy crap 5000!?. calm down Rambo. LoL. Thats crazy 5000 shots. I got my Samsung GX-1L(Pentax DL2) a week ago and I've only done about 150ish I think. (over half as a photographer at school) Anyways, before that I've shot about 7-8 rolls on a manual film slr. I didn't find the transition to be that stark although the softness did take me by surprise at first. Through the menu, I set Sharpness to +2 and stuff looks more natural. The only thing that annoys me is that when you use K mount lenses, the camera just assumes a wide open lens no matter the f-stop you choose.

What film camera did you use? Most of the modes translate over quite well. Like I had a Pentax MZ-M film camera (basically a more modern K1000) and the (Av) is all I use now.

Yea Colin, just take your time. Don't just run around blazing away. I find that choosing manual focus over AF really makes you slow down and take things into perspective. You're photos will improve!

CptOfGondor, you might already know buy just in case, you know if you put the camera in full manual mode, set the manual lens apeture to what you want then press the AE-L button it will meter for you.

Colin T, Just out of curiosity did you adjust the diopter for your eyes? If it is not set right everything would be blurry after the snap.

rjromero10
09-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Is the old lens (15 yrs old) does it have an "A" on the apeture? if not then forget using in anything but manual when the flash is on. The camera will just treat it as if the lens only has wide open apeture and usually set the shutter to maximum sync, which is 180. The new lens goes to 1/60 because the camera can control the apeture and stop it down before metering. I am not a 100 percent sure but I think the Rebel has a 200 sync speed and I am not sure on the D50. As far as data transfer, I have no idea why it is slow to transfer but, I would also suggest a card reader of some kind. Much easier to deal with and you don't have to use the batteries in the camera or plug the camera in to transfer pictures to the pc. I use this one http://lexar.com/readers/trio.html very handy.

CptOfGondor
09-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Rj,s right. Set the camera on manual and follow his instructions. Also, if you got the SR on, input the focal length.

To tell you the truth, my Samsung out of the box jpegs were pretty soft. I set the sharpness to +2 and everything looks much better. Either that or shoot RAW.

Personally I don't feel the need to do RAW just yet. too much of a hassle for me.

Reps
09-26-2006, 01:27 PM
To Colin T:

sometimes it is advisable to read the manual. As You state that Your cam is not recognized as USB2 device then check under the Set-up menu the item Transfer Mode. It has 3 options: PC- it is USB2, PictBridge for printers and PC-F is compatibility or USB1.1 mode- and You have somehow managed to run with the last setting I guess- and as it is not the default- my advice: do not tamper anything You do not exactly understand... :-)

Best and hope this closes this speed case, JR

Colin T
09-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi jeisner

I claim Pentax is false advertising because they say you can use any K-mount lens on the K100D. You can fit any lens to the body but they don't all work properly. Pentax should say that the old lenses will fit but may not work. That would be more acurate and less misleading.

re the Panasonic Lumix, I got my money back and bought a different camera.

Colin T
09-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi rjromero10

I have the diopter adjusted fine for my eyes.

re: the lens being 15yrs old with "A" on the aperture. The lens does have "A" on the aperture ring and it is set on "A" when using it on the K100D. The lens goes from F3.5 to F22 and the camera allows it to go from F4 to F22. However I have to use F10 or above because anything taken with a lower aperture number, ie F4, comes out under-exposed, (too light, no contrast, and very little in the picture or in focus). Work that one out, under-exposed pics with the aperture open and allowing more light in. Normally if you open the aperture right up you get over-exposure.

re: use a card reader instead of uploading from the camera itself. Why do they give you a USB cable to connect the camera to a computer if they would rather you use a card reader. If I should use a card reader then Pentax should give me a card reader instead of a USB cable and a port in the side of the camera.

Colin T
09-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi CptOfGondor

I have the camera set up for max sharpness, it doesn't make much diff when photographing people. I also set the focal length when I put a new lens on.

re RAW pics. I refuse to waste a 512MB memory card on a mere 40 pics. It kind of defeats the purpose of offering JPEG format and I would have to carry around a great stack of memory cards for all the pics I take, a bit like carrying around a bag of 35mm camera film back in the old days. One bag for film, one bag for the camera lens and other equipment. The camera shop thinks that is a good idea but my wallet says otherwise.

Colin T
09-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi Reps

re: sometimes it is advisable to read the manual. Your a funny man. I have read the manual, all 214 pgs.

re: Set-up and Transfer Mode. That is where the problem lies in regards to uploading pics from a 512MB memory card taking over 20 minutes. I originally tried the camera on PC mode because that is the default and also what the book says. The computer gave a message saying that the new hardware did not install properly and may not work. Then if you shut the PC down and reboot and then try to connect the camera, nothing happens. No messages, no windows popping up asking what you want to do, just nothing.

The book said if there were problems uploading when the camera was set on PC mode, then change the settings to PC-F mode and try. I did and that is the only way I can get the camera to upload pics to a computer with USB2 ports.

My old PC which only has USB ports actually accepts the camera when it is set on PC mode and it takes about 10 minutes to upload a 512 MB memory card on this machine. All the newer computers except the one at Pentax in Perth, won't accept the camera when it is set on PC mode and they will only accept it on PC-F mode.

Rhys
09-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I claim Pentax is false advertising because they say you can use any K-mount lens on the K100D. You can fit any lens to the body but they don't all work properly. Pentax should say that the old lenses will fit but may not work. That would be more acurate and less misleading.

I don't find Pentax is guilty of false advertising. Any screw mount or K mount lens will work on a Pentax digital body. I don't know if there's an appropriate focussing aid in the viewfinder though.

Nikon came out with its digital cameras and still doesn't support manual focus lenses properly. They'll mount but the camera won't meter nor will you get in-viewfinder focussing aids. That has really irked people who built up large collections of Nikon manual focus glass at high cost. They have done a bodged job on the D200 to make it almost work with AIS lenses but it really doesn't help - it just adds an extra stage in mounting a lens.

jeisner
09-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Any screw mount or K mount lens will work on a Pentax digital body. I don't know if there's an appropriate focussing aid in the viewfinder though.

You can buy a split focus screen but it is not standard.. the little red dot on the center focus point does give feedback though on correct focus, even with MF lenses...

jeisner
09-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi jeisner

As I said I have had NO problem at all with the following manual lenses (of various ages)...

Pentax-A 28/2.8
Pentax-M 50/2
Pentax-A 50/1.7
Pentax-A 35-105/3.5
Pentax-M 135/3.5
Pentax-M 200/4

Maybe your particular camera is faulty in some way?

Rhys
09-30-2006, 07:58 PM
You can buy a split focus screen but it is not standard.. the little red dot on the center focus point does give feedback though on correct focus, even with MF lenses...

Is the screen made by Pentax for the dSLR or is it 3rd party?

jeisner
09-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Is the screen made by Pentax for the dSLR or is it 3rd party?

3rd party, Pentax makes a few different screens (I like the LL60 with rule of third lines) but they don't make a split focus one..