PDA

View Full Version : Pentax S55

robert2
09-19-2006, 06:12 PM
When we turn on the Pentax S55, we notice a little (rectangular) GREEN light on the top, to the left of the ON/OFF (power) button. The light always appears to be ON. We asked someone and they said: "The light is a status light to show when images are being saved." But, we are not saving pictures at the time the light is ON. We just turn on the camera and the GREEN light goes ON and stays on. Even when we enter the MENU mode. Can anyone explain. We hope nothing is wrong with this camera we just received for our 70th birthday. Thank you.

robert2
09-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have an answer for us?

robert2
10-17-2006, 05:59 PM
I asked this question some time ago, but don't believe I ever received an answer.

On the top of the S55 there is the Power Switch/Mode Dial and to the LEFT of that there is an (small rectangular) indicator with green light, that turns on when the camera is turned on.

That GREEN light (in the indicator) is always ON, when the camera is turned on.

Just what is that GREEN light (that is always ON) supposed to indicate?

Is it always supposed to be ON when the camera is turned on?

frenchski
10-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Robert,
I am not really familiar with your camera but my guess would be that is is a status light to indicate the flash is charged and ready to go if needed.
If you take a pic and the flash is used does it go red for a little bit and then back to green?
That is how my small point and shoot acts.

robert2
10-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Thank you. I do have a 'flash' red light on the back of the camera that flashes (red) when I turned on the camera and then it goes out.

I am talking about the GREEN light on the TOP of the camera, next to the POWER/MODE button.

You can look at below image to see what I am talking about.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/588/pentaxoptios55ga6.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/588/pentaxoptios55ga6.jpg

frenchski
10-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Robert,
I even downloaded a copy of your camera's owners manual and couldn't find any mention of the light. They don't even list it in the overview of the controls and such.
You may try contacting Pentax directly. I really doubt anything is wrong with your camera. Green means go! If I had to make another guess I'd say it is a power on indicator.
Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Nesster
10-19-2006, 06:33 AM
If you look at the next photo on the Steve's Digicams page, you'll see the green light ON (he's explaining the help function)...

On the digitalcamerainfo.com review it states:
"Top (6.0)
The top of the Optio S55 is pleasantly simple. At the far left, a cluster of six holes gives vent to the cameras speaker. Next to that, the camera is labeled “Optio S55,” in moderately-sized type. Almost dead center is the mode dial, containing nine settings and encircling the camera’s power button. A green, glowing indicator mark shows which mode is set. At its right and toward the front of the camera is the large shutter release. "
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Pentax-Optio-S55-Digital-Camera-Review/Physical-Tour.htm

Ie. the green light is an 'on' indicator and helps index the mode dial.

Does it ever change when you change modes? It's always on when the cam is on, always off when the cam is off?

I'd say, that's that and not to worry about it ;)