PDA

View Full Version : Question for C-765 owners?

John_Reed
11-19-2004, 12:05 PM
I was shooting away on the Grand Canyon rim yesterday with my FZ10, and a guy asked me to shoot a couple of photos of him and his girlfriend with his new C-765. (He said he'd just received it a couple of days ago) I went ahead and shot the photos, but after each one, there was this "Wait" sequence that seemed to last for 3-5 seconds after the shot before you could take another one. Is that typical? He said he was using the Olympus xD 256MB card, and shooting in SHQ JPEG. :confused:

Jim Last
11-19-2004, 12:11 PM
I recently tried a C-770 and I also found that it seem to be a little slugish with shot to shot, not to the degree your've mentioned, but still slugish.

Could be an issue with the C-765's in general or even with just his unit.

Thon may be able to shed some light as a well seasoned C-770 user.

Jeff Keller
11-19-2004, 03:08 PM
I was shooting away on the Grand Canyon rim yesterday with my FZ10, and a guy asked me to shoot a couple of photos of him and his girlfriend with his new C-765. (He said he'd just received it a couple of days ago) I went ahead and shot the photos, but after each one, there was this "Wait" sequence that seemed to last for 3-5 seconds after the shot before you could take another one. Is that typical? He said he was using the Olympus xD 256MB card, and shooting in SHQ JPEG. :confused:

Sounds to me like he was really shooting in TIFF mode... what you describe is not normal.

John_Reed
11-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Sounds to me like he was really shooting in TIFF mode... what you describe is not normal.That's what I would've thought too, Jeff, but I checked his shooting menu, and sure enough, SHQ was selected. After I took each shot, I first looked up to tell them the shot was taken, and then looked down again, only to see this little "wait" thermometer working on the screen, each time. Maybe the guy had a bad xD card? :confused:

gb_in_ga
02-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, I don't have a 765, I have a 755, but those are pretty similar. Yes, it does take about that much time to write SHQ JPEG's out to the card. Actually, I think the 755 may take a little longer, since the 765 is supposed to have a faster image processor. Anyway, 4 MP SHQ JPEGs are over a couple of MB's each, and it just takes that long to write. 4 MP TIFF's are MUCH worse about it as they are over 11 MB's each, so much so that I don't usually even consider using that format unless doing portrait work or somesuch where the delay isn't a problem and the extra image quality merits it. BTW, I'm using Olympus xD cards, too. I have the 16MB one that came in the box and a 512MB one, both exhibit this behavior. So, no, it isn't due to a bad card.