PDA

View Full Version : Question on Tamron vs. Pentax lenses.

Peleg
09-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Has anyone compared the Pentax DA 16-45mm f/4 to the the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8? They seem to run neck in neck. I'm looking for the one w/ the best overall IQ and which one focuses the most accurately and quickly. One more question on the DA...is this a "USM" driven lens? I've heard both that it is and that it isn't??:confused: Thanks.

jeisner
09-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Has anyone compared the Pentax DA 16-45mm f/4 to the the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8? They seem to run neck in neck. I'm looking for the one w/ the best overall IQ and which one focuses the most accurately and quickly. One more question on the DA...is this a "USM" driven lens? I've heard both that it is and that it isn't??:confused: Thanks.

The 16-45/4 is an extremely good lens... worth a lot more than it costs...

And certainly - 100% - completely - NOT USM

Only the new (as yet unreleased) DA* lenses will have in-lens motors (USM)

As to your question: I think you will be best off with the Pentax as the Tamron is not available in Pentax mount ;-)

Peleg
09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
The 16-45/4 is an extremely good lens... worth a lot more than it costs...

And certainly - 100% - completely - NOT USM

Only the new (as yet unreleased) DA* lenses will have in-lens motors (USM)

As to your question: I think you will be best off with the Pentax as the Tamron is not available in Pentax mount ;-)

Ahh, not having a Pentax mount might just prove to be tad bit of a problem. Thanks. :o

Rex914
09-19-2006, 12:09 AM
As a side comment, now is a terrific time to buy the 16-45 since it has a generous $100 rebate to go with it. A lens of this caliber for $300 is a steal.

However, if you want a true competitor to the Tamron/Sigma, you'll have to wait for the Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 which will cost more but will have USM and weather sealing.

CptOfGondor
09-25-2006, 08:59 PM
You need KAF2 Mount to run the USM right?

KFrog
09-26-2006, 04:54 AM

Do you have any idea why Tamron doesn't have a Pentax mount? With Samsung joining the K mount club it would seem there is a lot of business they're missing out on. :confused: