PDA

View Full Version : C&C on my PP with PSE

toriaj
09-17-2006, 04:51 AM
I just downloaded the trial version of PSE today, and these are my results. Please give me your feedback. What could I do differently?

I took these in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, with my D50 and 70 - 300mm Sigma.

#1:

Original of #1:

#2:

Original of #2:

I am still deciding whether I like PSP better than PSE, now that I have had both trials. PSP is currently ahead, mostly because of its noise reduction.. There also seem to be more options to work with the image. But I love PSE's Magnetic Lasso, and the Layers seem easier to work with.

Thanks for your advice. I welcome all edits and feedback.

ReF
09-18-2006, 05:07 AM
#2 looks overdone

Prospero
09-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I agree with Ref that #2 looks overdone. The sky looks a bit more grainy as a result of heavy post processing and the mountains look unrealistic. Also, cropping the foreground makes the picture less interesting, in my opinion.

I tried to make an edit of #2. I cannot really judge if the colours are accurate since I wasn't there at the time that you took the shot, but I think that this is perhaps a bit better. I got this result by raising the contrast and adjusting the colour so that the background would look better. After that I returned the foreground to its original colour using the history brush. I used the burn tool to make the foreground just a bit darker. In the end I used the unsharp mask to make things a bit sharper. The result would have been better if I had a full size image to work with.

http://prospero.cabspace.com/pictures/tori-edit.jpg

The Post Processing of the first one is great. You did a very good job in raising the brightness of the shadows without making the image lose its contrast.

By the way, I see you took these shots with your Sigma 70-300. I have never taken landscape shots with that lens, but looking at your results I think I should definitly try that some time.

toriaj
09-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the comments! I wondered if I went too far on #2. Thanks for telling me how you did it, Prospero. I'm a newbie to PP and it helps a lot!

I love landscapes with the Sigma 70 - 300. I noticed in my very first landscape shot that it was better than my kit lens in showing detail, especially when the mountain (or whatever) is well lit.

How's the biking? :D It snowed here this weekend (:eek: ) so I think I've lost my chance ...

Prospero
09-19-2006, 07:10 AM
How's the biking? :D It snowed here this weekend (:eek: ) so I think I've lost my chance ...

Well, the biking is not too good at the moment, but that's not on account of the weather. My bike was stolen last week :mad:. I do have another bike, but it is very old (my grandmother once rode on that bike :rolleyes: ) and not all that comfortable to ride on. It is especially a nuissance when I have to cycle the 12 kilometers it takes to get to college...
Anyway, the insurance company will fortunately cover the costs of buying a new one :).

toriaj
09-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your bike was stolen! It's funny, I know very, very few people who have ever had anything stolen. I guess it's because I live in such a rural area. Not much profit from crime around here :rolleyes:

gmtech79
09-20-2006, 05:27 PM
That wouldn't happen to be the top of trail ridge road would it? I was just there about two weeks ago.

toriaj
09-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Why yes it is! Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, USA. It was my first time hearing the bull elk bugle. It was incredible.