PDA

View Full Version : Want to get a good photo editor- Photoshop or Paint Shop?

bastetbabe27
09-15-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm looking into buying better photo editing software than came with my camera. I hope this doesn't start a war, but which is better, Photoshop or Paint Shop? And availability for Mac is a plus, since I'm considering getting one for my next new computer. I have no intention of becoming a professional, but I want more than the absolute basics. Any opinions or suggestions?

-bastetbabe27

Fred
09-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Hmm, which is better - a loaded question. :) I have never used it, but many people say that Paint Shop Pro is easier to use than PS. The downside is that there seems to be many more free tutorials and articles available for PS rather than PSP.

Me - I started with Photoshop Elements, which is cheaper and easier to use than the full version of PS. After awhile I started using PS CS, and am very happy with it. I only use a small part of its functionality and features, but by reading new tutorials and tips whenever I can, I learn a little more each day. Guess I really didn't answer your question, but that's my .02 for what it's worth. :)

Virtual_D
09-15-2006, 03:03 PM
My $.02.

PSP has all the functionality I will ever use and more. And many of the tutorials can be used in both.

PS CS2 seems to be what alot people use. Personally I dont feel its worth the extra cash. You can buy some real nice L glass for what you save.

Virtual_D
09-15-2006, 03:06 PM
You can download a trail of PSP XI and see if it is what your looking for. Not sure about PS CS2.

toriaj
09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
I got the trial of PSPX and I really like it. I am a total newbie, and I was overwhelmed with all the options at first. I used the tutorials and that helped a lot.

The only reason I use anything else is that PictureProject (came with my D50) allows full-screen view with the ability to mark photos that I like or don't like. So I upload the photos into PictureProject, usually "autoenhance them" (for some reason so far the "Quick Photo Fix" in PSP makes them look weird? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.) After I autoenhance them, I open into PSP to complete processing.

Also, if you by the trial of PSP then you get an offer to buy it at $59.00.

D Thompson
09-15-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm looking into buying better photo editing software than came with my camera. I hope this doesn't start a war, but which is better, Photoshop or Paint Shop? And availability for Mac is a plus, since I'm considering getting one for my next new computer. I have no intention of becoming a professional, but I want more than the absolute basics. Any opinions or suggestions?

-bastetbabe27
I can only speak for Photoshop as that's the only one I've used. It is great and has a lot of users. PSP also has a lot of users. As Virtual D said - try the demo and yes, Photoshop has a free trial. Based on price and your stated use - I would skip the full version ($$) of Photoshop and get Photoshop Elements. It will have most of the functionality of CS2 for a lot less money. Try them both out and see for yourself. Hope this helps.

adam75south
09-16-2006, 04:47 PM
well i can't say much for paint shop, but i love photoshop cs2. i have watched a friend of mine use paint shop pro and it did crash on him a few times. i have never had photoshop crash or stop responding on me. that's the only input i can give, hope it helps some.

Honest Gaza
09-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Obviously there are different levels of how deep you want to get into both programs.....and both may become difficult without tutorials etc.

However, I can say that many years ago when I started using PaintShop Pro, I was able to perform basic photo editing almost immediately. I found Photo Shop much more difficult to use.....even had to buy "Photo Shop for Dummies"

Since moving to Photo Shop (admittedly I'm trying to utilise more advanced techniques), I am always looking for tutorials and guides for assistance.

RichNY
09-16-2006, 07:01 PM
If you do go with Photoshop CS2 here's a link to purchase it for $299 if you have a child in school.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/market.html?category_id=267838

bastetbabe27
09-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Eeep! $300? Yeah, I think I'll get either PaintshopPro or Photoshop Elements. Looking at Photoshop CS2, it seems rather advanced for what I want to be doing at this point, and not worth the money for my skill level. Thanks for the input, everyone.

-bastetbabe27

RichNY
09-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Eeep! $300? Yeah, I think I'll get either PaintshopPro or Photoshop Elements. Looking at Photoshop CS2, it seems rather advanced for what I want to be doing at this point, and not worth the money for my skill level. Thanks for the input, everyone.

-bastetbabe27

If you want to really Eeep, look at the regular price at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=377530&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

seanymph
09-17-2006, 07:21 PM
is there any free photo editing software that is decent to good? dont need anything professional... just the basic's, i.e. redeye removal, cropping...

sonny d.
pa

seanymph
09-17-2006, 07:50 PM
ever use these...?

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html

or any of these?

http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=graphicssoft&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freeserifsoftware.com

sonny d.
pa

Fred
09-18-2006, 10:52 AM
is there any free photo editing software that is decent to good? dont need anything professional... just the basic's, i.e. redeye removal, cropping...

sonny d.
pa

Sure. Try www.picasa.com or www.faststone.org or www.irfanview.com :)

bryanbendo
09-18-2006, 04:20 PM
start out with photoshop elements, and then progress into photoshop...nothing better

Rhys
09-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Look into Aperture. That looks quite promising. Personally, I use Photoshop Elements 2 and the stuff that came with my Canon.

seanymph
09-18-2006, 08:12 PM
downloaded the picasa one... so far liking it, but dont particularly like how it just gathers all the pics of your pc...

toriaj
09-18-2006, 11:29 PM
You can customize that option in Picasa and tell it what folder(s) to look in. Go to Folder, Remove from Picasa. Select a folder and click the radio button "Remove from Picasa." You can quickly identify all the folders you want (or don't want.)

seanymph
09-19-2006, 08:35 AM
i'll have to look at that...