PDA

View Full Version : *ist DS versus 100D versus Nikon D50

spacerabbit
09-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and the world of digital SLRS. The last SLR I had was an old Minolta X700 I used for photo classes back in HS. Currently my wife and I have a small canon powershot SD300 which we love. I myself am really wanting to upgrade to a Dslr because I miss the feel of my old Minolta and the creative freedom the manual controls and lenses offered. I've been researching the Nikon D50 and the Pentax K100D and the *ist DS. I've found the *ist DS for below $500 with the lens kit which just seems too good to pass up. How do you guys feel the pentax DSLR's compare to the nikon D50, and other then the image stabilization, is there a reason to go with the K100D over the *ist DS?

Thanks so much for the input!
BT

eduardofrances
09-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Well image quality wise the D50 and the K100D are very close, they sport a ligther Antialias filter than the DS thus they will produce crispier photos.

Both cameras are superb with noise handling and image quality, the only thing is that the K100D has a smaller buffer, but that only is a con if you plan to do real long bursts, the K100D has a bigger viewfinder wich is more pleasant.

Do a trip to your local camera store and try both cameras in your hand and see wich one is more comfortable (it has to feel comfortable cause it will be you a lot of time) and then decide you wont go wrong by picking one or the other.

spacerabbit
09-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did go and try them both in hand, and I really do prefer the pentax. It just feels better put together to me, and reminds me more of a traditional SLR like the old K1000's and I like that quality. Looks like it will be pentax for me :)

Thanks again!
BT

eduardofrances
09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did go and try them both in hand, and I really do prefer the pentax. It just feels better put together to me, and reminds me more of a traditional SLR like the old K1000's and I like that quality. Looks like it will be pentax for me :)

Thanks again!
BT

You are welcome enjoy your camera a lot :D