PDA

View Full Version : long writing time

cheekymonkey
09-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and dslr photography and have found some very helpful information here. Thanks! :)

I recently bought a Pentax K100D and I've been having a lot of fun with it. It's pretty cool to make changes to the settings and see immediate results. What a great learning tool.

Last night I was taking pictures of lightning. I was using the bulb function and 10-30 second exposures. It took me a while but I got some nice shots. My first ever lightning pics! Anyways I noticed that the write time was really long. I would have to wait about 15 seconds (approx.) to take the next shot. The camera would sit silent after the shutter closed (used the 2 second delay - mirror lock up) and after what seemed like 10 seconds the orange light would come on; indicating the data was writing to the card.

Any idea as to why it's taking so long? I missed a few opportunities while having to wait, I'm just wondering if there's some thing I can do in the settings to improve this.

This morning I was taking pictures and the write time was quick as usual.

As I mentioned I was using the bulb setting. I was shooting in fine JPEG and the camera was tripod mounted with SR turned off. I also have an 18-200 mm Sigma lens. The files did not appear overly large, about 2Mb I believe.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chilious
09-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Last night I was taking pictures of lightning. I was using the bulb function and 10-30 second exposures. It took me a while but I got some nice shots. My first ever lightning pics! Anyways I noticed that the write time was really long. I would have to wait about 15 seconds (approx.) to take the next shot. The camera would sit silent after the shutter closed (used the 2 second delay - mirror lock up) and after what seemed like 10 seconds the orange light would come on; indicating the data was writing to the card.

Hi. I've also observed this long writing time at long exposures, but I thought that this is normal. But maybe is not. It may depend on the speed of the card that is used (I'm using a 2gb Corsair 133x). So, it would be nice to hear other oppinions.

jeisner
09-10-2006, 05:51 PM
This is not LONG writing time.. It is called dark frame subtraction.. If you turn off Noise Reduction then this won't happen...

Basically what happens is you take a 10 second exposure, then the shutter closes and takes another 10 second exposure of blackness (a dark frame).. It then checks all the hot pixels in the 'dark frame' and subtracts them from the first photo...

I recommend leaving this on with any brand of camera.. though you could turn it off and clean up the hot spots yourself...

cheekymonkey
09-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not familiar with the noise reduction feature. Now that it has been pointed out I'll do some reading about it.:)