PDA

View Full Version : canon a80 - made in japan

shimon
07-22-2004, 10:18 AM
where can i find (over the internet) a "canon a80" made in japan? i've been looking all over the web and i haven't seen any site mentionning the country it was manufactured in.

thanks,
tzachy.

hitekrednek
07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
I bought one at Wolf Camera in Nashville Tn. last Saturday. They are online also, but don't know if you could specify a Japanese model online.

Raoul
07-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Got mine thru Walmart.com last week, "Made in Japan." That's no guarantee you'll get one, I'm not sure what the quality control differences might be anyway, all the talk about inferior cameras from China seems to run contrary to quality control processes that contemporary companies use regardless of where the camera is manufactured.

D70FAN
07-28-2004, 07:04 PM
It doesn't really mater as long as they are certified through ISO, and most manufacturing companies in China, Thailand, Taiwan, and Mexico are ISO and even TS (automotive) certified. In addition the parent company, like Canon or Nikon (the D70 is made in Thailand) keep a very close eye on the quality of their products worldwide.

Even cameras "Made In Japan" will have many components made elsewhere and then assembled in Japan.

If you live in the US your TV, computer, and most of your car was probably built in Mexico, your laptop in Taiwan, sound system in China, and etc. Even the Japanese can't afford to build in Japan anymore.

So fear not. If your camera is made by a major camera guy, the quality is no worse for where it is built.

zahara
08-02-2004, 12:23 PM
So glad to see this post! My brother bought an A80 for me through a local dealer in Pakistan. He's charging us around US$316. I know I can get it much cheaper at Amazon but with no guarantee. The local dealer is someone who deals with the company where my brother works so I have some sort of guarantee.

In this context, when I checked the camera, it was Made in China. We are getting TV sets for around US$50 to US$60 here (made in China)! Why is the chinese digital camera expensive then? My major issue is with the quality of camera parts. Are they reliable? The box has English + Chinese text written on it. It says "Canon Inc. Made in China".

What do the experts suggest? Shall I contact Canon people ?

Ray Schnoor
08-02-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure, but by the tone of your message, it seems as if you suspect that this may not be a "real" Canon A80, but maybe a knockoff. If it is a Canon A80, I wouldn't worry about where it was made, since most if not all A80s are probably made in the same plant, and definitely have the same quality control measures. If you don't trust the merchant and believe that this is a knockoff, by all means, buy the camera somewhere else.

As to how expensive the digital camera is, compared to TVs, it may be expensive. Compared to other digital cameras, though, $316 US is not a bad price for this camera.

Just for comparison sake, my Nikon D70 box says: camera body made in Thailand, video cable and USB cable made in China, strap and eyepiece cup made in Japan.

zahara
08-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, Ray. The dealer is someone from whom my brother's friend has bought some stuff. They also provide canon stuff for the hospital where they work. So, if I find any defect later on I guess I can grab the dealer's neck :)

I traced the body number to an aussie company but they won't disclose product info to unknown surfers at their web site. I have written to their contact address. The number written on the camera itself and on the box (serial number I guess?) is not traceable over the net.

Any more suggestions for the background checking on the stuff?

More details on the contents of package:
- both CD's [made in china]
- memory card [made in japan - FINALLY!]
- camera [made in china]
- USB port [from the chinese and english instructions, I guess it's made in china]
- panasonic AA batteries [made in japan]
- strap [no info]
- another cable [no info]
- startup pamphlet [printer in china]
- on the box [made in china]

Hmmm... are we seeing a Red Revolution!?

D70FAN
08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, Ray. The dealer is someone from whom my brother's friend has bought some stuff. They also provide canon stuff for the hospital where they work. So, if I find any defect later on I guess I can grab the dealer's neck :)

I traced the body number to an aussie company but they won't disclose product info to unknown surfers at their web site. I have written to their contact address. The number written on the camera itself and on the box (serial number I guess?) is not traceable over the net.

Any more suggestions for the background checking on the stuff?

More details on the contents of package:
- both CD's [made in china]
- memory card [made in japan - FINALLY!]
- camera [made in china]
- USB port [from the chinese and english instructions, I guess it's made in china]
- panasonic AA batteries [made in japan]
- strap [no info]
- another cable [no info]
- startup pamphlet [printer in china]
- on the box [made in china]

Hmmm... are we seeing a Red Revolution!?

Nope, just a cheap labor force, in an industrializing country. The revolution is not as red as it used to be. Communist idealism, with a dose of capitalist reality.

As I said before, Made in China, is no longer a symbol of low quality. Especially where Japanese transplants are involved.

The package you have sounds like the real thing.

Have fun.