PDA

View Full Version : NewBee here "I need help with sizing!"

acu
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
:) Hello all Im new to the site....I was woundering if anyone would help me out....I have a photo of a wave I need it enlarged to be printed 6'x6' and I need at least 600dpi min...1200 would be best im told. I need this to send my picture to be made into a wrap for my business truck. If anyone could help would be great. And can it be done?

Norm in Fujino
09-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Sounds like you need Qimage. . . and a computer with a very large memory. 1200 dpi for a 6'x6' image would be 7.46 billion pixels, I think.:eek:

Stuart
09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
That should only be about 52 million pixels.

Number of Pixels = Area x (Pixels per unit of area)
Area = 6" x 6" = 36 inches^2
Pixels per unit of area = 1200 dpi x 1200 dpi = 1,440,000 dots per inch^2

So,
Number of Pixels = (36 inches^2) x (1,440,000 dots per inch^2) = 51,840,000 dots

With 24 bit colour that's only ~150MB. That shouldn't be a problem with a modern computer.

This resolution though will almost assuredly be greater than any digital photo that you've got. You will need to resize your photo and resample it to the resolution that you desire. This resampling will require a computer program to "make up" data for all those extra pixels that you want. Photoshop will do this for you.

D Thompson
09-06-2006, 06:22 PM
That should only be about 52 million pixels.

Number of Pixels = Area x (Pixels per unit of area)
Area = 6" x 6" = 36 inches^2
Pixels per unit of area = 1200 dpi x 1200 dpi = 1,440,000 dots per inch^2

So,
Number of Pixels = (36 inches^2) x (1,440,000 dots per inch^2) = 51,840,000 dots

With 24 bit colour that's only ~150MB. That shouldn't be a problem with a modern computer.

This resolution though will almost assuredly be greater than any digital photo that you've got. You will need to resize your photo and resample it to the resolution that you desire. This resampling will require a computer program to "make up" data for all those extra pixels that you want. Photoshop will do this for you.

You might want to reread the op. It's 6'x6' not 6"x6". ;)

John_Reed
09-06-2006, 11:18 PM
:) Hello all Im new to the site....I was woundering if anyone would help me out....I have a photo of a wave I need it enlarged to be printed 6'x6' and I need at least 600dpi min...1200 would be best im told. I need this to send my picture to be made into a wrap for my business truck. If anyone could help would be great. And can it be done?
If your nose is right in the print, you won't be able to see with your naked eye much better than about 150 pixels per inch; If you present a 6' x 6' image to be printed at 150 ppi, that would be 10,800 pixels square. When you take this to a printer who has one of those roll-type printers, sure, they'll print at 600 dots per inch or better, but for that job, the printer driver in the computer will figure out how many dots should be printed per pixel of your image.

Now I have to say that I had the task of creating a banner that was 6 feet X 14 feet, and my computer being limited, I made the "executive decision" to render the image at 72 pixels/inch, the typical resolution on a computer monitor. Amazingly, the banner looked perfectly sharp, especially from normal viewing distances for large images.

I'm suggesting that you limit the pixel resolution, and that you'll still get very acceptable results. You can try printing small swatches with your chosen printer at various settings, and see what looks acceptable to you. I suspect you'll do fine at 100 pixels/inch, frankly.