PDA

View Full Version : Best travel tripod, using on sand ?

Tyson_AUS
09-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi guys,
I plan to be carry a tripod with me 24/7 for 3 weeks, through hot and tiring Egypt, your advice on which tripod is very important. I don't mind paying for a quality tripod.

Also, are there some tips on the legs for using a tripod on sand, I don't want to see my beautiful camera lying in the sand because of the wind :) lol

Would the easiest way to carry it be with a sling strap over my shoulder ?

kind regards,

Tyson.

toriaj
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm no expert, but I think a heavy tripod is better in the wind.

My tripod came in a bag with a shoulder strap. I wear it like this, with my camera bag over the other shoulder. I hike around like this. I would prefer a waist pack for the camera, maybe attaching the tripod to the bottom of the pack. Or, maybe putting everything in a backpack. But this is what I have for now. (You can see the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera. I keep it on there all the time.)

...pardon the dirty mirror ...

Tyson_AUS
09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Thank you kindy for your good advice toriaj,

Unfortunately, the rules of the game with the travel guide mean I cannot take or backpack, daypack or waistpack :D lol

I can caribiner clip things to my belt, or sling straps over my shoulders but thats about it.. I might strap it in horizontal fashion to my belt, or wear it over the shoulder. Does anyone have any good advice for a tripod that is a good balance between quality and overall acceptable light weight, I still need a good tripod but for the trip it will not leave my body except when in use o_O

My camera is a Panasonic lumix FZ7.

Thanks guys

toriaj
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
What will you be carrying your camera in? Maybe in a pocket? Good thing it's not TOO big ...:cool: My tripod is still about 24" long when it is folded up, so it would be fairly uncomfortable to wear on my belt all the time. Maybe if it was right on my back. Maybe you could find a littler tripod? I don't know tripods very well. A Google search or a trip to your local camera shop might help the most. My tripod is very lightweight. I haven't had trouble with it, except that I have learned to use the 2 - 5 second delay timer because just pushing the shutter button rocks my tripod. (Good advice given here on DCRP :D ) If you do get a lightweight tripod, you could pack a little bag and fill it with sand to hang on the tripod to stabilize it when you need to. Since it sounds like sand will be readily available ...

When are you leaving? Post some of your shots when you return! Sounds like quite an adventure.

forno
09-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Tell the tour guide that you are paying HIM :rolleyes:

JLV
09-06-2006, 05:18 PM
If you do not need the steadienest of a tripod, you might like to try the following:

For low budget and easy of carrying you like to try what I call a tripod less tripod.

I use a 1/4 x 20 bolt inserted in the tripod socket on the camera. To that I have attached a one foot wire. (I am using fishing leader wire. I think twisted picture hanging wire would also work). To the loop I made at the outer end of the
wire, I attach a shock cord. I step on the end of the cord and pull up. The pressure helps steady the hand.

This will give you much of the steadiness of a monopod. Yet it is easier to carry.

Tyson_AUS
09-06-2006, 05:37 PM
That's brilliant man, I like it :)

I've also been looking at the Velbon range, maybe something like the Ultra Maxi series.. but would prefer a velbone a bit cheaper.

Yeah, I can tip some people to take photos for me, but some of the places I'm going only has sand to accompany me.