PDA

View Full Version : Pentax *ist DL2 vs. Samsung GX-1L

CptOfGondor
09-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Hey, I can make that step into dSLR territory once I see enough green in my wallet. I think I've narrowed it down to the GX-1L. I can get the kit for $599CAN. Since the appearance of the K series dSLRs, the Pentax *ist DL seemed to have vanished and those that are left behind are overpriced. Kits I found start at $650 (with some store instant rebate) and up.

Since all of my glass is from the 35mm MF days, I'm guessing the K series won't be of much benefit because I won't be needing those extra AF points and the SR...I don't think I'll be able to afford that. The Samsung GX-1L kit at $599 seems like the most econmical so far. I've checked other major retailers like Henrys and $599 is still the lowest so far. I'm rather skeptical of online deals like ebay athough I did run through Cameta Camera's store page. With the conversion rates + tax + paypal fees, I'd be paying much more than $600 for a K110D body.

Ok, what I wanted to know is how the GX-1L compares with the Pentax model because from reviews, I get the feeling the Samsung variants aren't as good as their Pentax couterparts.

Does anyone have any info about this issue?

Jeff Keller
09-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that they are EXACTLY the same camera.

CptOfGondor
09-04-2006, 12:13 AM
How about the software and image processing? Same too?

jeisner
09-04-2006, 12:42 AM
They are the same camera made in the same factory but with a different badge on the front... though the RAW processing software (on the PC) is different (I bet based on the same code).. The image processing in camera is the same, as everything else is...

As for your comment not needing SR due to using old K lenses.. You do realise that SR works fine with the old K lenses... The camera just asks you what the focal length of the connected lens is when you first connect it and then SR works perfectly...

CptOfGondor
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I don't have an extra $100 to get the K100D body. Gotta buy my university books first..lol

eduardofrances
09-12-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm pretty sure that they are EXACTLY the same camera.
many reviewers coincide with you, the only thing different should be the algorythms of the processing engine