PDA

View Full Version : Some remarks about Jeff's K100D review

gstafleu
08-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Clearly Jeff generally likes the K100D. He mentions two slight negatives that I think are related: the red in the cloak of the Mickey Mouse macro figure is a bit "over the top" and the noise in the night shots as of ISO 800 is fairly high. I suspect that this is due to testing the camera in Bright instead of Natural mode: the cloak is obvious, and as for noise I suspect you are seeing Bright luminance noise. We can mainly blame this on Pentax: as long as they insist on making Bright the default they will get such needless but accurate criticisms in reviews. Nevertheless, I keep hoping that reviewers will be a bit, well, brighter and switch to Natural mode when reviewing :).

Other negatives are the small buffer (nothing surprising there) and "some vignetting with the kit lens." While the latter is accurate I nevertheless thinks he underestimates the kit lens here, or sounds that way at least: it is one of the better kit lenses and can hold its own against many non-kit lenses as well.

He also mentions slow AF. He does mention it is accurate, though. (But not that C's vaunted fast AF is not, you can't have everything I suppose.) He also says that the "Performance [is] not quite as good as other D-SLRs." Not sure what that means, since he thinks the image quality is quite good. Perhaps the startup time (1 sec) and the focus time? A bit strange to weigh these parameters more heavily in a camera's performance than image quality...?

All in all a fair review though, I'd say.

jeisner
08-31-2006, 07:36 PM
the red in the cloak of the Mickey Mouse macro figure is a bit "over the top" and the noise in the night shots as of ISO 800 is fairly high. I suspect that this is due to testing the camera in Bright instead of Natural mode: the cloak is obvious, and as for noise I suspect you are seeing Bright luminance noise. We can mainly blame this on Pentax: as long as they insist on making Bright the default they will get such needless but accurate criticisms in reviews. Nevertheless, I keep hoping that reviewers will be a bit, well, brighter and switch to Natural mode when reviewing :).

I don't know if thats a problem though.. most first time DSLR users (in the lower end of the market as the k100d is) probably prefer not to PP and the camera pretty much gives them what they want... I may well use RAW in general but for JPEG use I like the bright mode (except if there is a lot of red, whereby I would use natural mode)...

gstafleu
09-01-2006, 06:46 AM
I don't know if thats a problem though.. most first time DSLR users (in the lower end of the market as the k100d is) probably prefer not to PP and the camera pretty much gives them what they want... I may well use RAW in general but for JPEG use I like the bright mode (except if there is a lot of red, whereby I would use natural mode)...

True enough that most first-timers may want Bright mode because it looks more like what comes out of a P&S. But, going by my experience with the DS, I don't think that switching to Natural adds any PP, the colors are just more, well, natural. More PP is only added if you were to e.g. decrease sharpening because you want to do your own USM.

Pentax probably made Bright the default because they did something like plunking a focus group in a room with a dataprojector, and then measuring the Oohs and Ahs produced by the various projected pictures. No doubt if you pick a random bunch off the street you'll get more O&A's with Bright.

But is that the audience that wants to buy a DSLR? I suspect that that audience has many "serious" photographers, who want to use Natural. Now given that you are obviously a serious photographer and use Bright, we have a bit of deconfirmation here!

But still, the whole uproar on dpreview where Phil remarked about the "bad" JPEG quality of the DS was mostly caused by testing in Bright mode (more saturation gives more JPEG artifacts). that could have been avoided by making Natural the default. I'm sure this uproar hurt sales a bit, you kept seeing the point reappearing on the forum forever!

jeisner
09-01-2006, 04:14 PM
But still, the whole uproar on dpreview where Phil remarked about the "bad" JPEG quality of the DS was mostly caused by testing in Bright mode (more saturation gives more JPEG artifacts). that could have been avoided by making Natural the default. I'm sure this uproar hurt sales a bit, you kept seeing the point reappearing on the forum forever!

Phil actually redid the resolution test in Natural mode to prove it made no difference to the test, and it didn't but everyone ignored him... IMO the JPEG resolution on the K100d is improved over the DS regardless of mode..

gstafleu
09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Phil actually redid the resolution test in Natural mode to prove it made no difference to the test, and it didn't but everyone ignored him... IMO the JPEG resolution on the K100d is improved over the DS regardless of mode..
Hm, didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out. Yes, JPEG seems to be improved on the K100D, thanks to SilkyPix, which is good news.