PDA

View Full Version : any online photography tutorials?

pianoplayer88key
08-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Ok so I know there probably aren't all that many free ones out there that could compare with a paid course, but somewhere I think I've seen some online tutorials (a few places) that have to do with photography of various types. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any websites that have online tutorials? I'm mainly interested in portrait photography of pretty much all types, but would also consider landscape photography, astrophotography, sports, etc.

I currently have a broken Canon S1 IS and Canon A70, but am thinking about getting a new camera (or two) in the next couple months. (not a dSLR, cause I can't yet afford it. A couple possibilities are a Fuji F30 for low-light performance with a pocket cam, and a Panasonic FZ-50 for long zoom high-res performance, but those haven't been decided on. This would be a thread for the What Camera Should I Buy Forum. I already have a thread there, but it's gotten somewhat buried... maybe I should think about resurrecting it...)

Also, are there any books you might recommend on the subject? I could maybe check some out at a local public library (I'm there right now, but can look for them when/if I have time to check this thread tomorrow or later.) I mainly would be thinking about this as a hobby, not as a career. I would like to be able to take better photos than I have been, and one of the important things (whether posed or candids) is have the subjects be more comfortable with having me take their pictures (currently it's more often than not "DON'T TAKE MY PICTURE PLEASE!!")

RichNY
08-30-2006, 06:18 PM
There are 3 good books that I've read recently by Bryan Peterson, all published by AMPHOTO Books.

- Understanding Digital Photography
- Learn to See Creatively
- Understanding Exposure
http://www.ppsop.com/site/store.html

Bryan also owns an online photography school but I haven't had any 1'st hand experience with their content or quality.

In terms of correspondance courses there is also the New York Institute of Photography. I have their literature and would be interested in learning if anyone has used them.

Norm in Fujino
08-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Ok so I know there probably aren't all that many free ones out there that could compare with a paid course, but somewhere I think I've seen some online tutorials (a few places) that have to do with photography of various types. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any websites that have online tutorials?

Your title is 90% of the way to answering itself:
1. Go to Google
2. Input: free "online photography tutorials"
3. press Enter

tim11
08-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Try google for Photography for IDIOTs series.:D

JLV
08-31-2006, 07:19 AM
You might find the following helpful:

There is a free photo course on the web. If you do not want to enroll, you can just read the lessons. I read a few of the lessons. They are as good or better than some books.

The URL follows:
http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php

good luck and enjoy.

rickalm2000
08-31-2006, 01:18 PM
I've gone through the morguefile lessons and must say that they helped a whole lot. Before I went through them I knew almost nothing about photography or how a camera works but the lessons have given me a whole lot of information and insight to the world of photography. Definately recommend them!!! (just need to get me a camera now)

SeANMcBAY
09-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I've gone through the morguefile lessons and must say that they helped a whole lot. Before I went through them I knew almost nothing about photography or how a camera works but the lessons have given me a whole lot of information and insight to the world of photography. Definately recommend them!!! (just need to get me a camera now)

I recommend a Canon A620. It's only 179.99 at Office Max now.

rickalm2000
09-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Actually waiting to get a rebel xt (or xti when reviews start coming).

rickalm2000
09-03-2006, 07:46 AM
oh and the main reason i was posting in the first place--

cambridgeincolour.com is one that I found on google.

Also geofflawrence.com and photoxels.com. There are a lot more but the down side to proxy servers is you cant get to them.