PDA

View Full Version : Resetting starting photo numbers in Sony Cameras

CanFarsider
07-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Hi:

I am presently using two Sony digital cameras (DSC-P8 and DSC-V1) for work and at home. I'd really like to reset the photo number in the P8 to DSC50nnn rather than have the usual DSC00nnn. My problem is that I use both cameras, so I'm ending up with duplicate file numbers. This causes much confusion. I've been manually renaming the files to the 50nnn series, but it's a fair bit of work. I wrote to Sony to ask how to reset the numbers, they replied it couldn't be done. Does anyone have any ideas? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Clint

Ray Schnoor
07-22-2004, 04:45 AM
You may not be able to do it in the camera, but there are programs that can batch rename files. Several of them came up in a search in the download section of www.cnet.com (http://www.cnet.com).

Ray.

marcusaral
06-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I recently ran into this problem and after some minimal searching didn't find any resolution or existing utility. So below is a command line script for Windows XP that can be used to quickly generate files that can be copied onto the Sony memory stick to force the filename sequence to the desired number. Hope this helps.

:GenPicNum.cmd

@if NOT DEFINED _echo echo off

set Sourcefile=%1
set Fileprefix=%2
set Numplaces=%3
set Filenumstart=%4
set Filenumend=%5

set zero=
set mult=
set index=
set tempFilenumstart=
set jpg=

if NOT DEFINED Sourcefile goto input
if NOT DEFINED Fileprefix goto input
if NOT DEFINED Numplaces goto input
if NOT DEFINED Filenumstart goto input
if NOT DEFINED Filenumend goto input

goto process

:input
set /p Sourcefile=Any small file (emptyfile.txt):
set /p Fileprefix=Filename prefix (for DSC0000.jpg enter DSC):
set /p Numplaces=Number of placeholders (for DSC00000.jpg enther 5):
set /p Filenumstart=Filename starting number (for DSC0006.jpg enter 6):
set /p Filenumend=Filename ending number (for DSC00020.jpg enter 20):

if NOT DEFINED Sourcefile goto usage
if NOT DEFINED Fileprefix goto usage
if NOT DEFINED Numplaces goto usage
if NOT DEFINED Filenumstart goto usage
if NOT DEFINED Filenumend goto usage

:process
if NOT EXIST %Sourcefile% goto usage

set /a Numplaces=Numplaces
set /a Filenumstart=Filenumstart
set /a Filenumend=Filenumend

pause

:loop

set jpg=.jpg
set zero=0
set /a mult=10
set /a index=1
set tempFilenumstart=%Filenumstart%

:innerloop

if %index% GEQ %Numplaces% goto endinnerloop

if %mult% GTR %Filenumstart% (set tempFilenumstart=%zero%%tempFilenumstart%)

set /a mult=mult*10
set /a index=index+1

goto innerloop

:endinnerloop

copy %Sourcefile% %Fileprefix%%tempFilenumstart%%jpg% > nul

set /a Filenumstart=Filenumstart+1

if %Filenumstart% GTR %Filenumend% goto endloop

goto loop

:endloop

goto end

:usage
echo.
echo Generates placeholder files so that a camera's filename sequence can be
echo adjusted. An empty file must be created to base the generated files.
echo Once the files are generated copy them onto the camera's media
echo and take a picture. This should force the camera to use the next
echo available filename sequence number after the generated files.
echo Command file tested on Windows XP.
echo Generated files tested on Sony DSD-P50.
echo.
echo Usage: GenPicNum.cmd [Small File] [Prefix] [Digits] [Start] [End]
echo i.e. GenPicNum.cmd emptyfile.txt DSC 5 6 20
echo Small File - any small file to generate files (emptyfile.txt)
echo Prefix - the file name prefix (for DSC00000.jpg enter DSC)
echo Places - number of digits (for DSC00000.jpg enther 5)
echo Start - starting number for filename (for DSC00006.jpg enter 6)
echo End - ending number for filename (for DSC00020.jpg enter 20)

:end

set Sourcefile=
set Fileprefix=
set Numplaces=
set Filenumstart=
set Filenumend=

set zero=
set mult=
set index=
set tempFilenumstart=
set jpg=

ducksoup
07-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Hi:

I am presently using two Sony digital cameras (DSC-P8 and DSC-V1) for work and at home. I'd really like to reset the photo number in the P8 to DSC50nnn rather than have the usual DSC00nnn. My problem is that I use both cameras, so I'm ending up with duplicate file numbers. This causes much confusion. I've been manually renaming the files to the 50nnn series, but it's a fair bit of work. I wrote to Sony to ask how to reset the numbers, they replied it couldn't be done. Does anyone have any ideas? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
There's an amazingly easy way to rename files in bulk in WIndows XP. Not sure if this works in earlier versions, but I do it easily and quickly in XP.

Copy (don't MOVE...copy) the files to a folder on your computer. (Copy in case you do not like the results or mess up. You can then start over with a new copy of the original filenames)

Select all of the photos you want to rename. (i.e. If you want to rename 50 photos, select the 50 all at once.)

Now, right-click, choose "Rename" and ONE of them will be in "rename mode". For this case let's say it was the file named MVC-050. Re-name the portion of it that you want to rename. For instance, if they were all MVC-001, MVC-002, MVC-003 etc thru MVC-050 and you wanted to rename them all BBB-001, BBB-002, BBB-003 etc thru BBB-050...rename that one that was in "re-name mode" from MVC-050 to BBB-050 and all of the selected files will now have the BBB in them in place of the MVC.

The one drawback is that it automatically adds (01), (02), (03) thru (50) at the end of each file...like this

BBB-001 (01)
BBB-002 (02)
BBB-003 (03)

I do not know why this happens, but it still beats renaming each one individually.

Mike

Steve Cifra
07-04-2005, 05:38 PM
There's an amazingly easy way to rename files in bulk in WIndows XP. Not sure if this works in earlier versions, but I do it easily and quickly in XP.

Copy (don't MOVE...copy) the files to a folder on your computer. (Copy in case you do not like the results or mess up. You can then start over with a new copy of the original filenames)

Select all of the photos you want to rename. (i.e. If you want to rename 50 photos, select the 50 all at once.)

Now, right-click, choose "Rename" and ONE of them will be in "rename mode". For this case let's say it was the file named MVC-050. Re-name the portion of it that you want to rename. For instance, if they were all MVC-001, MVC-002, MVC-003 etc thru MVC-050 and you wanted to rename them all BBB-001, BBB-002, BBB-003 etc thru BBB-050...rename that one that was in "re-name mode" from MVC-050 to BBB-050 and all of the selected files will now have the BBB in them in place of the MVC.

The one drawback is that it automatically adds (01), (02), (03) thru (50) at the end of each file...like this

BBB-001 (01)
BBB-002 (02)
BBB-003 (03)

I do not know why this happens, but it still beats renaming each one individually.

Mike

I tried this, but it renames them all the same name with only the number in parenthesis different.

Steve