PDA

View Full Version : Online printing resolution

TJ22
08-28-2006, 07:45 AM
So I am trying to print my photos online. I used a few services and I liked snapfish overall. The problem is that every photo service crops my 4X6 prints even though I already cropped them to 4X6.

So I am trying to find the perfect resolution to submit to them. I know I want a 4X6 so if their dpi is 300 = 1200X1800. But snapfish is yet to tell me there dpi. so if they use 200dpi instead and I submit a 1200X1800 the photo wouldve needed to be 800X1200 to avoid any cropping or resizing.

So does anyone know the perfect resolution or the DPI of any of the online printers?

Thanks.

ktixx
08-28-2006, 07:52 AM
I think you are confusing DPI and PPI - it is a common mistake...
Just submit your photo's in full resolution, let them crop to size and you will be fine...

TJ22
08-29-2006, 07:38 AM
I dont want them to auto crop my photos and cut some of my picture off. Snapfish answered and said they print at 150 DPI. So if I submit a 600X900 for a 4X6 I should see no cropping.

bowman
09-05-2006, 06:58 AM
The dpi nomenclature is a mashup between photo print, screen, base file, publishing print, and editing software. Camera output can also differ - Nikon D1x for instance did not by default output 300 dpi on conversion.

but, ok lets say dpi is dots per inch - this then in reality only applies in truth to printing techniques that actually disperse dots or place any other type of individual dya dots on paper

most online and boutique printing do not use this technique

their dpi guidelines are just that - the reason is mainly to racaive files from the client that in size contain enough pixels to represent fine details

as the others suggested - give them a large file - if you want to work in 200 dpi on your computer that should be fine

http://photo-printing.blogspot.com