PDA

View Full Version : Stupid filter question?

Phill D
08-28-2006, 12:05 AM
A bit off the wall this one but it does annoy me so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has a simple fix. Basically I run my FZ20 with a skylight filter on it all the time for protection & when I put my polarising filter on top of this it works fine but trying to unscrew the polariser only leaving the skylight in place is virtually impossible. Anyone got a simple solution to ensure the polariser comes off easily alone that doesn't involve glueing the skylight on or taking the skylight off first?

JLV
08-28-2006, 07:11 AM
My only suggestion is to try and hold the skylight filter while you remove the polarizer. If you find that you cannot hold it with your fingers, try one of the rubber grippers used to open jars.

Rhys
08-28-2006, 08:14 AM
If the two threads are sticking then try running a pencil around the outside of the polariser thread - the graphite should act as a lubricant.

The other thing - don't screw it on quite so hard!

JTL
08-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Don't leave home without it...

http://www.adorama.com/FLFWB.html?searchinfo=filter%20wrench&item_no=1

Phill D
08-29-2006, 06:00 AM
Interesting solutions guys thanks. I'll try the pencil one first off, seems pretty cheap if it works. The link to the filter wrench looks to be just what I had in mind JTL and the smaller size I need is even cheaper at $3.95. What a bargain only snag is that they charge $39.50 to ship it to the UK :( But now I know such a gismo exists I'll look for a UK supplier. Thanks again guys I just knew someone would have a solution.